Slightly Confused About Leopard Install Options

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CyberEv88, Oct 22, 2007.

1. CyberEv88 macrumors newbie

Ok so I've been searching through the forums and trying to figure out what the difference between Upgrade and Archive and Install are. As I understand it, Upgrade does just that: upgrades your computer to Leopard while leaving all your files in place. Now, does Archive and Install do the same thing as upgrade, but make an extra copy of your files in case something goes wrong... or does it create a separate folder with your files, installs Leopard, and then forces you to fix all your files again (as in, would my songs still be in iTunes with all my playlists and play counts, or would I have to put them back into the program?).

If you could help me clear up this confusion, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Have you checked out the Apple support page.

Software Install

People seem to forget about Apple.:)

3. CyberEv88 thread starter macrumors newbie

^ I read that article earlier but I was still slightly confused. If it says my Home folder will be preserved, then that means all my music and photos will already be in iTunes and iPhoto as they were before the install, right?

And also, if it doesn't save my 3rd party apps, what's the best way to keep those intact?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes.

Your third-party apps remain in your Home folder. You may have to transfer your application preferences files from the old Library to your new Library.

5. CyberEv88 thread starter macrumors newbie

So let me get this. Archive and Install basically does the exact same thing as upgrade, but makes Tiger into it's own folder, that you can delete at a later time?

6. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

This Apple Support page is really good, it explains all the installation options.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301270

Basically you are right. Upgrade, keeps everything in it's place, but upgrades the operating system it also takes the longest. Archive and Install upgrades the OS, but puts all your system stuff and apps in a folder called "Previous System". It also takes up a lot of disk space and may cause conflict with any third-party apps.