Slightly Confused About Leopard Install Options

CyberEv88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Ok so I've been searching through the forums and trying to figure out what the difference between Upgrade and Archive and Install are. As I understand it, Upgrade does just that: upgrades your computer to Leopard while leaving all your files in place. Now, does Archive and Install do the same thing as upgrade, but make an extra copy of your files in case something goes wrong... or does it create a separate folder with your files, installs Leopard, and then forces you to fix all your files again (as in, would my songs still be in iTunes with all my playlists and play counts, or would I have to put them back into the program?).

If you could help me clear up this confusion, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Ok so I've been searching through the forums and trying to figure out what the difference between Upgrade and Archive and Install are. As I understand it, Upgrade does just that: upgrades your computer to Leopard while leaving all your files in place. Now, does Archive and Install do the same thing as upgrade, but make an extra copy of your files in case something goes wrong... or does it create a separate folder with your files, installs Leopard, and then forces you to fix all your files again (as in, would my songs still be in iTunes with all my playlists and play counts, or would I have to put them back into the program?).

If you could help me clear up this confusion, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Have you checked out the Apple support page.

Software Install

People seem to forget about Apple.:)

Comment

CyberEv88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
^ I read that article earlier but I was still slightly confused. If it says my Home folder will be preserved, then that means all my music and photos will already be in iTunes and iPhoto as they were before the install, right?

And also, if it doesn't save my 3rd party apps, what's the best way to keep those intact?

Comment

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
^ I read that article earlier but I was still slightly confused. If it says my Home folder will be preserved, then that means all my music and photos will already be in iTunes and iPhoto as they were before the install, right?
Yes.

And also, if it doesn't save my 3rd party apps, what's the best way to keep those intact?
Your third-party apps remain in your Home folder. You may have to transfer your application preferences files from the old Library to your new Library.

Comment

CyberEv88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
So let me get this. Archive and Install basically does the exact same thing as upgrade, but makes Tiger into it's own folder, that you can delete at a later time?

Comment

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
So let me get this. Archive and Install basically does the exact same thing as upgrade, but makes Tiger into it's own folder, that you can delete at a later time?
This Apple Support page is really good, it explains all the installation options.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301270

Basically you are right. Upgrade, keeps everything in it's place, but upgrades the operating system it also takes the longest. Archive and Install upgrades the OS, but puts all your system stuff and apps in a folder called "Previous System". It also takes up a lot of disk space and may cause conflict with any third-party apps.

Comment