Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
So my computer when on the internet sits between 140-150 F...I realize this is not the danger zone, but until recently, it was moe like 120-130 doing the same things. I am kind of curious as to why this would happen? I have additional software installed, but none of it is open.

I do use iStatMenus, which I have read can contribute to RAM and CPU consumption. SystemUIServer runs around 3.0% of the CPU utilization consistently...not sure if that is normal.

So while this isn't a danger-zone, what are possible reasons for this and why would the temp increase with the same activities? Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So my computer when on the internet sits between 140-150 F...I realize this is not the danger zone, but until recently, it was moe like 120-130 doing the same things. I am kind of curious as to why this would happen? I have additional software installed, but none of it is open.

I do use iStatMenus, which I have read can contribute to RAM and CPU consumption. SystemUIServer runs around 3.0% of the CPU utilization consistently...not sure if that is normal.

So while this isn't a danger-zone, what are possible reasons for this and why would the temp increase with the same activities? Thanks
To see what's really running, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

Your temps are quite normal, and certainly nothing to be concerned about, as it won't throttle or shut down until over 200F.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Has it always been this high since you owned it? It also possible that the heatsink does not have proper contact with the CPU? If you game you could open it up and replace the compound with something like articsilver.

I assume u have not dropped it etc?

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
Yeah, never dropped, Activity Monitor indicates CPU utilization is generally unchanged, and it was 10-20 degrees cooler a year ago. Is it normal for computers to run hotter as they age?

I know iStatMenus has a memory leak in it, but this shouldnt affect temp, should it?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yeah, never dropped, Activity Monitor indicates CPU utilization is generally unchanged, and it was 10-20 degrees cooler a year ago. Is it normal for computers to run hotter as they age?
Not really. Heat is primarily a function of what's running, not what's installed or stored on a drive or the age of the computer. My guess is you may have more background processes running now than a year ago, even though none stand out as a major resource hog.
I know iStatMenus has a memory leak in it, but this shouldnt affect temp, should it?
I know of no such memory leak. I use both iStat Menus and iStat Pro. They contribute almost nothing to heat or memory usage.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Perhaps the webpages require more work from the computer? The images could be much larger. Another possibility of the top of my head, maybe your fans are full of dirt/dust. Blow some compressed air inside to get rid of the debris and see if the fans run better than before. I doubt there is so much dirt in there to impede airflow, but then again, I've seen some really disgusting machines, especially those that have been in rooms heavily filled with smoke.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
Not really. Heat is primarily a function of what's running, not what's installed or stored on a drive or the age of the computer. My guess is you may have more background processes running now than a year ago, even though none stand out as a major resource hog.

I know of no such memory leak. I use both iStat Menus and iStat Pro. They contribute almost nothing to heat or memory usage.

http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/versionhistory/ ...notice 3.21 claims to repair a memory leak.

For some, this was/is a huge issue as their SystemUIServer would grow to 300+ MB and continue to occupy more CPU resources leading to higher temps. The only way to do this was to kill the process/restart. I am not sure if it has been fixed yet or not, as it sounds like some people still have issues with Lion.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1283629
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20100918163629993
http://roaringapps.com/app:67

I've not had one bit of an issue myself at any time, but I wasnt sure if it could be related. I will assume it isn't.

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
My early 2011 15" is also running a wee bit warmer, web browsing and word processing would be 35-40c a year ago but now it's more like 45-50c for some strange reason.

I've completely reinstalled Snow Leopard, I've taken it in to the Genius Bar to be cleaned, but still it's running ever so slightly warmer.

The only things I've installed are that graphics switching app, iStat, Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Office.

Last edited:

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
Yeah, I'e gone back to old screenshots to look at what I was doing and temps shown by iStatPro in the top bar...the difference is pretty substantial...it's a good 20 degrees for the same Apps. I tried resetting SMC to no avail. I am currently running 150, which while it isn't out of spec, it is hotter than it ran doing the same thing with essentially the same apps running. A friend suggested what I wanted to pretend wasn't the case and that is the thermal paste may not be in the greatest condition... :(

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
As an update, I decided to open the back cover and blow some compressed air outward from the fan through the vents. I didn't think it was very dirty at all, but it seems to have restored my computer to the operating temp I initially had. So I guess even a small amount of dust/hair can cause havoc with the cooling system??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.