All iPads Slightly disappointed

IBMJunkman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
Have iPad Air with only 16g. Ran into problems with lack of space. Bought an Air 2 with 64g. Transition was painless. I bought the Apple 1 piece case/smart cover for it. While the 2 is 18% thinner than the Air when in the Apple case the whole package is just as thick as the Air with a smart cover and a Belkin Shield back cover. The 2 sits down in the case like it is in a bowl.

The Air Smart Cover fits the Air 2 so I will see if Belkin is making a Shield for the 2 and try that combo to get back my 18%.

AppleWes

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2013
I agree about the Apple Smart Case (specifically for iPad Air 2). It feels like they need to make the case smaller, the iPad sits deep inside it, as you said like a "bowl".

The buttons are lined up correctly but the case is still too thick for the new iPad Air 2 size.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Apple should make a back shell to go with the smart cover. Much prefer the 2 piece setup.

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
I think a sleeve is the best solution for iPad. It's protects it but you can still use it naked.
Amen to that. I already have my Air 2 sleeve on pre-order.

You can hold it naked but still have a secure, cushioned sleeve to move it around in that you can also rest the iPad on if it's flat on a surface. Best solution Imo.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I am always worried about putting mine down and it getting scratched. While I use a case with a stand for travel I do like to go without the case while at home. So I put a sticker on mine. I have Ghost Armor on my Air (front and back) and like that setup. I had iCarbon wood sticker on my iPad 3 but it was kind of thick and interfered with the case a bit.

I'm thinking I'll go with the Ghost Armor thing again with my Air 2. Just have to be careful until they get the new ones out. Best of all worlds in my opinion.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I have the Air 1 Smart Case and it's noticeably thicker than the Air 2 Smart Case sitting on my desk. Not gotten my Air 2 yet.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
Slightly disappointed

I'm going to skip the Smart Case and look for a clear back case instead. I purchased the Gold model and don't want to cover it with a colored case.

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
Seriously considering getting InvisibleShield Glass, and the InvisibleShield back installed on my Air 2, as well as on my 6 Plus.

I've gone commando for soo long. The 6 Plus still feels some what slippery.

I think it's old age kicking in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.