Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
I have a 50mm F1.8 Nikon lens I bought used years ago. Compared to the 18-200VR lens on my D200 it seems to have a fogginess when I look through the viewfinder. I guess it has developed some dust or a film on the internal optics which I presume could be cleaned. Does anyone have any idea how much this would cost? I have a feeling a new lens might be the more economic option but any other suggestions are appreciated.

TIA

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I have a 50mm F1.8 Nikon lens I bought used years ago. .................................. I have a feeling a new lens might be the more economic option but any other suggestions are appreciated.

TIA

my minolta 50mm f1.8 had focus problems. so i disassembled the bloody thing completely, cleaned it and put it together again. worked like a charm but cost me about 5 hrs. i assume the lenses are similar in the way they are built. check on google if there is a repair manual online.

if you're handy then try that first. seems you have nothing to lose because you would buy a new one anyway.

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
It sounds more like moisture than dust to me, but in both cases you need to take the lens to a service center to be taken apart, cleaned and then resealed.

I don't know how much that costs though.

EDIT: Just a thought, if it's indeed moisture then try putting the lens together with a lot of silica gel inside a box for a couple days. Hopefully the silica will absorb the moisture out of the lens. Wouldn't hurt to try it!

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
If it is moisture you can dry it out. I have done that by going outside and using the sun and drying it out that way. If it is fungus from moisture you are out of luck with an easy solution. One person said taking the lens apart is an option. You could try a heat source also.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
I had a 40 year old Minolta 58mm f/1.4 MC cleaned up at a local shop for $50, a bit high considering the resale value of the lens, but worth it since this lens had sentimental value to me.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Hmm, I never thought of moisture so I'll try the drying option for a few days to see if that helps. If not then I think I'll try dismantling - I mean, what could possibly go wrong? ;)

Thanks for the help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.