Slightly interesting ibook behaviour

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by icebook, Nov 9, 2007.

1. icebook macrumors newbie

Didn't want to over exaggerate this really is only slightly interesting and I don't have a big problem but...

I have a 12" G4 (1.33 ghz) which has been an absolute workhorse since I got it. I adore it, take it anywhere, drop it, kick it (accidently) and faithful as ever it works! Well recently my shift key was sticking and I decided to release the keyboard and give it a good blow (no puns please ;-) ). Well as I was replacing the keyboard I noticed a little silver disk stuck to the back - no bigger than 3mm diameter and sort of 1 mm thick. It moved but was obviously magnetic - so I just took it out and put the keyboard back together.

I rebooted and loe and behold my hard disk name was gone and replaced by a couple of dollar signs. Now, that's the curious bit I mean what happened - did disk check it's all fine so I'm not that worried (just did clean install of Leopard so I don't mind doing it again if anything happens).

The other thing I have noticed is that - before I removed this disc - I would get really random airport connection, it would look as if I had a strong signal when actually it was rubbish and would drop, I'd close the lid to sleep and suddenly it wouldn't recognise any networks (even though I am sat next to my router - okay so I'm lazy I could plug a cable in but the number of times this thing has flown across the room I wouldn't want to do that with a router lol). Since taking out this little disk it seems that all my airport problems have resolved.

As I say not a really 'interesting' post like ooh should I go mbp or just mb rofl! Any ideas you guru's of all things mac? Should I do another clean install 'just in case'? anyone any ideas what this silver disk is? :confused:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It sounds like the magnet that helps hold the keyboard down. It generally sits on top of recessed screw near the top middle of where the keyboard goes and pairs up with a metal disc built into the back of the keyboard. The magnet comes off fairly easily so that you can access the screw underneath to disassemble the machine. AFAIK, it should have no effect on the operation of your machine.

It just sounds like you accidentally changed the name of your hard drive while you were playing the keyboard. Was the computer on at the time?

3. icebook thread starter macrumors newbie

No it was off at the time - I didn't realise we needed a magnet to hold the kboard down its pretty firmly bedded down on mine but that's the answer - knew someone on here would know... I'll leave it out for now and see how airport behaves, its been a day now and no dropouts but I might just be seeing connections in random things :eek: