Slightly loose hinge 2013 11" air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DisplacedMic, Feb 3, 2014.

1. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

Hey - my 11" air is starting to get a little loose at the hinge. it stays put when i'm working on it, but if it's into fully extended and i tip it back or lift it, the screen opens all the way almost immediately.

i'm not too bothered by this in its current state, but my 5 year old MBP doesn't do this at all and if its going to get worse i'd like to nip it in the bud as the computer isn't even 6 months old.

Has anybody had experience with getting the air tightened?

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

Its normal. All airs do this. Nothing to worry about.

3. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Mine doesn't do that - can you take it to a local Apple store? They can check it out.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

There have been countless threats going like here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1551557

Just google: macbook air loose hinge.
    Very common accurance. Ours does it, too.

If it doesnt bother you its nothing to worry about.

5. Miss Roxy macrumors newbie

Uh no. It's not normal. Mine doesn't do that.

@OP: You should bring your MBA to the apple store to get it fixed.

6. teffers macrumors regular

I've had mine since launch, doesn't do it either.

Definitely go to a service centre :)

7. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I'm on my 3rd 13" MBA due to small, but bothersome, issues, One of the issues was the loose hinge. I'd open the system and once it warmed up from use the top would very slowly continue opening until it was fully opened. Apple was happy to replace it for me, and I've been happily using this one for months.

If you're within the 30 day return period, take it in. If you're outside the return period, take it in and have a talk with an Apple representative.

8. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

This is all too common. I had an 11" 2011 Air for a year and the hinge bugged the crap out of me. It wasn't quite loose enough to take back to Apple, but I'd notice it from time to time and it always worried me (like it might flip real hard one time too many and break).

I was just checking on 11" Airs again now that the battery life is so much better, went to my local Best Buy and their display unit had one of the loosest hinges I've seen on an Air. My daughter's 13" Air is pretty decent - but none of my MBPs ever display this loose hinge problem.

Personally, I think it's a design flaw and the hinge should not be loose like that. I'd try to get Apple to deal with it if I were you.