Slightly off topic but any TiVo users here?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by toddsimon, Oct 22, 2015.

1. toddsimon macrumors member

toddsimon

i'm thinking of cutting the cord and was thinking of getting a Roamio with lifetime subscription. Does anyone use one? If so how do you like it? I figured between this and the new Apple TV I won't miss cable besides sports.

2. an-other macrumors regular

Long time Tivo user. I guess my question to you is where are you going to get content? I "get" the apple tv will have packages on offer, however it's still early days to determine the breadth of the offering. I certainly hope they're successful. I'd like nothing more than to walk away from my cable company, too.

I don't have any experience using an antennae with tivo.

The "apps" on TiVo work for sure, but are clunky. I tend to use the smart tv variants or the PS3.

It does seem odd a Steeler's fan would be willing to risk missing football ;)

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I am a steelers fan and a cord cutter :).

That is what Kodi if for!

Tivo is great, and I have used the roamio in the past. My problem was I had trouble pulling in HD channels OTA. If you live in an area where you can pull in OTA go for it. I would also suggest getting the new TiVo bolt.

4. ArizonaAnnie macrumors newbie

Between me and my ex husband we have a total of 5 working Tivo's. We love them! First started using Tivo over 10 years ago. Now, we have 3 of the first Humax models. They were the ones which actually came with a DVD recorder, once a show was recorded and saved, the show could then be saved to DVD. Loved those machines, but they quit making them. All 3 of these are still working and have never had any problems. Two were purchased with the lifetime subscription, the third one he pays monthly, and regrets not getting the lifetime subscriptions because over the 10 or 11 years, he's paid more than what the lifetime subscription would have cost him.

I have 2 of the Tivo HD version and they are about 6 or 7 years old, bought with lifetime subscription, again no problems with the machines whatsoever. I use mine with over the air antenna, as I cut the cord 6 or 7 years ago.
    I bought a Roku before I got immersed in Apple products.

Where I live I can get about 40 OTA channels, and the Tivo is so handy for recording. I stream a lot too using the Roku. But the only thing I can't do is use my Tivo's to record streaming content. Maybe I am doing something wrong or maybe the new Tivo Roamio can do that? I'm not sure.

Cutting the cord is great and I applaud your desire to do so. I hope my experiences with Tivo helps you in your decision.

5. Got Haggis? macrumors member

I've had a Roamio since it came out - but I have cable. I believe the Roamio is, hands down, the best DVR out there - and the best TiVo (I haven't used the new one though). I say go for it. One great feature (that I guess AppleTV has?) is if you search for a program, it will search across multiple services - tv, on demand, youtube, etc

6. jdag macrumors 6502a

I'd also recommend looking into Tablo, especially if over-the-air TV is used minimally. I have a Tablo hooked to the router, then 3 AppleTVs. In fact, the AppleTVs are the only "boxes" I have hooked to my TVs and 99% of my viewing is through them (except for the FireTV Stick in my family room that gets very little use, 1%). I simply use the Tablo app on my iPhone, and AirPlay to the AppleTVs. In effect, the iPhone becomes a remote.

I fully expect that Tablo will have an app for the new AppleTV in the future, so it will alleviate the need to use the iPhone. In full disclosure, I also have a FireTV Stick which has a native Tablo app, and I prefer using the iPhone/AppleTV/AirPlay method as the Tablo app on the stick is very very very very very slow and hardly used. I would hope the new AppleTV horsepower solves that problem.

I used to have TiVos, and they are definitely faster and more user friendly than Tablo. However, TiVos are also much more costly, and I simply don't watch much local TV, instead ~80% of my viewing is via the AppleTVs. And, as mentioned, I can use a single box on each TV, whereas with TiVo you need a full unit or a mini on each TV, need to switch inputs, etc.

7. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I have been looking at the New TIVO Bolt. They released a Fire TV App that reduces need for TIVO Mini (not perfect). It they come out with a ATV App I might consider getting it. That is assuming the App is pretty much a TIVO Mini so I can simply put the bolt in a closet.

8. jdag macrumors 6502a

This to me is the promise of the new AppleTV and app store. If there is a great TiVo app for the AppleTV, along with TiVo's outstanding hardware and interface, placing a TiVo "in a closet" and using it as sort of a TV/DVR server would be fantastic. In essence, that is what Tablo does, but TiVo offers a significantly better user experience.

9. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Yes I Use an OTA Romio, works great as a DVR, the Apps are ok not as good as the IOS versions

10. an-other macrumors regular

I was initially disappointed with the Bolt. The loss of tuners was big for me. What are people excited about with the Bolt?

11. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

1. SKIP Commercials
    2. Fast Mode
    3. Apple TV App (maybe)

If no Apple TV App then NO Sale to me. I would like to see TIVO have a come back but they need to get busy quickly. With Hulu no commercials and other future on demand options without commercials (expecting) I think TIVO is about to close it doors.

12. an-other macrumors regular

Do you currently use the 30 second skip option on the remote control?

My wish list would be to stop the cable company from marking the shows copy protected (not that TIVO could do anything about that.) It seems bizarre to me I've recorded a copy of something. Why can't I transfer that one recording to something else and erase it from the source?

I'd love to be able to download non-broadcast stuff on my ios stuff, and take it with me.

13. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I still have cable but ditched the FiOS STB for a Roamio a few months ago AND I LOVE IT. It's a great DVR and the menu is leagues above what cable companies offer. BUT HBOGO/NOW is not available on it so you might want to have a Chromecast as a supplement if you plan on signing up for those (though I think the Roku is the best of all streaming boxes). I think you can get Showtime Anytime via Hulu but not the standalone Showtime service direct from them. The addition of Plex is very nice but needs improvement - it's slow and not included on universal search, unfortunately. I think only the lowest model of the Roamio is capable of OTA.

14. Phil77354 macrumors newbie

Tivo question - it sounds like there are some knowledgeable people here, maybe you can give me some guidance.

I recently relocated. Previously I've had DirecTV, for many years. I love the interface and the DVR capability. But our present location doesn't have line-of-sight to install a dish for DirecTV. So I signed up for the local cable service.

The cable service is fine, good reception, good channel selection and cost is less than DirecTV. But I absolutely hate the user interface. The guide, search capabilities, interface with the DVR, all of it is far inferior to DirecTV. But I feel like I'm stuck with it.

Or am I? Can I simply purchase a Tivo DVR and still feed it from the cable account I now subscribe to? And that way I would have a better interface - I'm assuming that Tivo is more along the lines of what I had been used to with DirecTV.

I'm not really prepared to go all the way and cancel the cable subscription and go totally streaming or internet sourced at this point. I looked at the Apple TV but it won't provide what I want, at least not at this time. And Apple TV has no DVR capability, it seems to be streaming only.

Any suggestions would be welcome and appreciated.

15. Weaselboy, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Depending on your cable provider, probably not directly. Most all the cable companies now use a switched encrypted digital signal the Tivo can't see. The way around that is the cable company will provide you what is called a "tuning adaptor" that decrypts the signal before it goes into the Tivo box. Then it works like a normal Tivo.

See this info.

16. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Who is you local cable provider? It should work fine using the cable signal, it's what I'm doing with FiOS. Though the upfront cost for TiVO was hearty, I am much happier with their DVR service. I was glad to have found discounts/promos on the TiVO box itself.

But you can't just plug the cable into TiVO though, it needs to be activated w/ a cable card from your provider. My cable card is $4 vs $50 for the STB rental monthly. And do remember that you need to pay for the TiVO service to get the awesome interface and features.

A couple other things that I mentioned in my other post is that TiVo does not have HBO Go/Now or Showtime so you'll need another streaming device for that if you have them. Also, most cable providers don't allow On Demand with TiVo boxes. I think there is one but I can't remember who allows it. BUT...On Demand doesn't really matter since you can record a whole bunch of stuff and then watch it on your tablet or laptop or other mobile device. I replaced the 1GB HDD in my TiVO for a 3GB and I just let it record to its hearts content :). Or you can add Hulu/Netflix/Amazon Prime and use OnePass to find all the things you want to watch.

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A lot of the cable companies are now using SDV (switched digital video) for some channels and a cable card alone won't do the trick. The tuning adaptor I mentioned will be needed for those cable companies. I think Time Warner started with these, now most all the big operators like Charter and Cox use them also.

18. Phil77354 macrumors newbie

Thanks. I have Charter cable. They can provide a cable card along with a tuning adaptor in case the TiVO box I get requires one. I'll have to do some reading on the TiVO website to understand how their equipment works.

I don't understand how TiVO will work with the Charter package I have. It includes all of the HBO and Showtime channels so won't I get them irrespective of any limitations TiVO has? I also have Amazon Prime so it sounds like I can also integrate that with my Charter channels when I add the TiVO box?

19. HoiPiet macrumors member

HoiPiet

What good is it to have 6 tuners? There's not that much content OTA. Seems like 2 tuners would fill most people's needs.

20. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I highly recommend going to tivocommunity.com for more in depth questions. I'm sure there are Charter users there that can get you better info. It was a good resource when I was trying to decide on what to do and set my expectations. Getting premium channels isn't a problem, it's just On Demand stuff that you lose but I haven't found it to really be a big deal personally. I get all the HBO & Show channels just fine.

Amazon Prime works great on the TiVO. You can configure your streaming providers so that it is included when searching for shows.

21. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

You would still get HBO and showtime and all other channels you subscribe too, but there is no app on the TiVO for HBO/showtime. Right now you can probably watch "on demand" content from your cable provider. That option would not be available on the TiVO.

You still get the same channels, but you would lose the on demand aspect. HBO and showtime could be recorded.

22. Phil77354 macrumors newbie

Decided to order a TiVO Bolt. One note - earlier comment above mentioned fewer tuners with the Bolt. It has 4 tuners in fact. That may be fewer than some earlier TiVO models but surely seems sufficient to me. I decided to get the 500 GB model since I can always add an external drive to it easily if I need more storage capacity. Looking forward to trying it out, I'll have it at the end of the week. Appreciate the responses here and assistance.

23. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

Good deal, Phil. I'm also thinking of getting one. Keep us posted on how you like it.

I agree that 4 tuners will be more than sufficient as well as the 500 GB. One thing I've heard about the Bolt is that it may have audible fan noise, even when in standby, that can be objectionable for some users. Also high power dissipation in standby. Would be interested in hearing your take on those issues after you have the unit and spend some time with it.

24. JAT macrumors 603

Two is often not enough. But four is just fine. I have a Roamio for antenna use.

25. HoiPiet macrumors member

HoiPiet