Slightly OT: U-verse remote.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by pMad, Apr 17, 2011.

1. pMad macrumors regular

Here is my current set up.
    [​IMG]

You can see the U-verse box on the right of the fireplace.

Here's my problem. I am building cabinet/bookshelves to go in the cutouts on either side of the fireplace. The U-verse box will go inside this cabinet. There will be no glass in the cabinet, so I assume the box will not be able to pick up the remote signal inside the cabinet.

I imagine (hope) there is some sort of cable that will hook to the back of the U-verse box and then I can feed it through a pencil sized hole in the cabinet trim which would work to pick up my remote signal.

Questions:
    Does such a cable exist?
    What is it called?
    Where can I get it?
    What should it cost?
    To which port does it attach?

Thank you.

2. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

If you're building bookshelves, why not just put the box on one of the shelves?

3. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

You can get a different remote from AT&T for the box that has a USB attachment you plug into the box. The remote uses RF so you don't have to have line of site to the box.

4. pMad thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you.
    That is a lot easier.

I looked it up. It's the "point anywhere" remote.

5. GeekGuys macrumors regular

IR Repeaters!

IR Repeaters are the answer to your question.

They simply allow you to 'extend' the location of the IR/RF capture sensor of your device to be somewhere else.
    You can also daisy chain them. For example, you have the following devices in a closed cabinet

AV Amp
    Digi Set Top Box
    DVD Player
    BD Player
    ATV

You stick a IR transmitter onto each of these, and you have a single sensor/repeater outside the cabinet in line of sight for your remote.
    The sensors send the remote signal to all devices as if they were in direct line of sight.

Simple and cheap and been around for years. Very effective and easy.