Slightly ticker MBA with Superdrive or Slightly Thinner w/o Superdrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Zwhaler, Jul 27, 2008.

?

Thicker with Superdrive, or thinner without

1. Slightly thicker (still less than regular MacBook), but more ports, Superdrive, etc

22 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. Thinner than current model, but with same limited ports, no superdrive, etc

38 vote(s)
    63.3%
  1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I was thinking, for the next generation MacBook Air, would you want a slightly thicker (thickest part is 0.9in, tinnest is ~0.35in) laptop with a built in Superdrive, more ports, etc, or would you perfer that Apple moves away from this with a thinner computer (0.1in thinnest, 0.6in thickest), but with same limited ports.

I would actually perfer thicker with a superdrive, since I want an air but I want it to be like a MacBook but thinner. What do you think? Btw, this is assuming the regular MacBook does not change in size, since that would sway peoples opinions.

2. aosman macrumors 6502

I have a MacBook Air, and what really bothers me is the performance rather than the lack of ports. True, a thicker one (although only slightly thicker) would be more useful than the current generation.

That said, for current MBA owners, a slightly thicker MBA with more ports, a Super Drive, and a performance hike would render our MBAs almost valueless...

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

The smaller the better for my needs anyway.

That said, I'd still like the 12" PB brought back leaner, meaner w. Intel inside & it'd be a viable option missing in my Air-MBP choices. I am not a fan of plastic MB's in the least.

4. Blakely028 macrumors regular

Blakely028

I went for the 'slightly thicker' option haha :)

5. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I'd prefer a slightly thicker MacBook Air with user-upgradable RAM and a thicker hard drive (160 GB instead of 80 GB).

Like the iPod classic, there could be two options. Thin and slightly thicker.

6. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

slightly thinner. i dont need a superdrive. building in a super drive would be going back on everything apple said at MW08.

7. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Apple isn't going to put a super drive in their ultra portable, eventually it'll only have SSDs once they're more affordable, 64GB/128GB as options which would be good, and maybe a firewire port would be good just for target disk mode, and 4GB in the next gen as well. That being said Snow Leopard is supposed to both be optomized for dual core systems and the apps are supposed to be smaller in size and smaller in memory footprints, so I think that the current gen Airs like mine will only run better with 10.6

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The external if fine for the rare times I need it. If you want a notebook with an optical drive, the Air isn't for you. The MacBook or MBP is.

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

agreed. The only time I needed to use remote disk (I don't own the external superdrive) was when I wanted to do a clean install.

10. glitch44 macrumors 65816

isn't this poll rather pointless? a thicker MBA with a Superdrive is called a Macbook.

and the rumor is a slimmer, silver Macbook by the Holidays.

11. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

actually, just using the air on my lap for about an hour... I wouldn't want it slimmer I think it's perfect as is right now

12. vniow macrumors G4

How about...smaller screen size, slightly more thickness, proper 2.5" hard drive, more RAM and a bloody firewire port. Aside from the last little bother, you can find all those in a PC "netbook" which in my opinion are more along the style of what the MBA should have been.

13. jlanuez macrumors 6502

No drives!

I'm VERY happy NOT having drives on my MBA.

We have a 24" iMAC Extreme for any needs (which are VERY rare!)

14. Molopo macrumors regular

I think that MBA needs a smaller footprint most of all.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

If I wanted thicker, heavier, and larger HD I would get a MBP! Oh, crap, that's what I did...LOL :p

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

How about we get the heating issues resolved, then worry about thinness.

17. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

I'd like it tad thicker, but not for DVD.
    I'd love to have : RAM slot, 2.5 500Gb HDD & real cooling setup - not f**k u heat-plate, but real heatpipes.

Some extra port would be nice also (for iPhone & WD'Passport simultaneously)

And yeah, while Apple is not going to make it [significantly] thicker (no superdrive for sure) - they did it with iPhone, didn't they?

They still have to address heat issue, it's too prominent, and it affects their bottom line a lot! (returns, refurbishing costs, etc)
    Though they might try to avoid it with 17W Montevinas.
    Yet there's a chance they'd thoroughly redesign cooling setup, so that MBA can be more than typewriter, for more than 10 minutes.

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

yes......the whole point of the MBA is to be thinner, lighter, etc

19. Arthur Young macrumors newbie

Think far far into the future and what computers will look like 10 years from now...

No moving parts
    No hdd
    No CD drives

ultra thin, ultra light. ultra durable macbook from the future

I vote for same form factor, but longer battery life and wimax or 3G.

20. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

what your talking about is the macbook after the sept update if im right, and im never wrong!!! :D:D:D:D

21. glitch44 macrumors 65816

well you're wrong about the difference between "your" and "you're". :)

22. Molopo macrumors regular

Criticizing someone else's grammar is a bit petty. In your case, it's also a bit hypocritical. :)