Slightly (un)complicated cable modem(s)/ internet access issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brop52, Aug 15, 2007.

1. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I just got the new iMac that of course has wireless capability. Now I need to figure out what to do with my old iMac G3. I want to move the G3 upstairs with the new iMac downstairs and on the other side of the house and have both connected to the internet. I currently have comcast cable internet at I'm not too sure of the speed I am supposed to get. I have a cable modem that is at least 5 years old so I'm not sure if that is a limiting factor. I get a little less than 3 Mbits/s downloads on this modem.

What's more ideal? Wireless router or dealing with comcast and being able to set up possibly 2 IPs on the same line with 2 cable modems? Obviously wireless is more flexible, but I won't be using it except for something that could have been done with another modem depending on comcast's work through. Theoretically, the wireless should have higher maximum speeds than I can get from comcast anyway right?

I guess the main question is whether comcast allows multiple IPs. (I could call them but they are a pain in terms of customer service).

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You don't want to go with multiple IPs or access points from Comcast...they'll charge you an arm and a leg, and probably a torso too. Just get a router and run a cable from your existing modem to the router. You can then run cables to your individual machines, and they'll all use the same connection/IP.

Since you'd have to run cable between floors of your house, it might be simplest to just go with a wireless router and connect wirelessly.

3. pmartin macrumors regular

The way almost everybody deals with this problem is by getting a wireless router. You won't be compromising anything in speed, the wireless router will support a 54Mbps transfer rate (802.11g) wheras you only have a 3Mbps internet connection. No you cannot get two IPs with comcast without paying extra, nor should you want to; you would generally go that route only if you were hosting a server or something.

4. brop52 thread starter macrumors 68000

brop52

I will probably just do the wireless thing.

As for the modem, since we pay 3 bucks a month for the modem we have (Com 21 DoxPort 1110) I will likely return it to them and buy my own. Com 21 doesn't even have a website anymore. Could it be a driver issue? If it is, then how exactly would you update drivers through a Mac? I will probably buy one of the motorola ones.

Could the max connection speed from comcast be that poor? My fiancée a few miles down the road has the newer motorola cable modem with comcast and gets roughly 5 Mbits/s download.

I think Comcast's standard minimum is 4 Mbits, then 6, and finally 8. I'm not quite sure which one we have but it's certainly not 4.

5. pmartin macrumors regular

I generally get 8Mbps with them, but it depends on your area. Also, cable modems aren't exactly something that gets updated often, so I wouldn't really worry about it too much. The real issue is whether or not you connect it through USB. If you do, stop and connect it through ethernet instead, as that is the standard interface for most home networking equipment, and also how you will need to connect it to the wireless router.

6. brop52 thread starter macrumors 68000

brop52

It's connected through ethernet now.

7. pmartin macrumors regular

What specifically is the connection problem you are currently experiencing?

8. brop52 thread starter macrumors 68000

brop52

There isn't really a problem. Just not the speed it should be. It's a constant limited download speed to less than 3 Mbits/s.

Anyway, I'm going to buy the new cable modem so I don't have to pay the rental fee and then I'm going to buy a wireless router to complete the setup.

As for which speed we are signed up for I will have to call comcast as I can't sign up online for some odd reason to check my account.

Thanks for your help guys.