Slightly uneven hinge on macbook...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by likemyorbs, Dec 25, 2008.

?

Is your hinge a bit off?

1. A Little.

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. A Lot.

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Not At All.

19 vote(s)
    63.3%
  1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

my macbook's hinge is a tiny bit off to the right, not enough to really care about. it doesnt bother me at all but i was wondering if theyre all like that? you can actually see the metal bar inside the hinge through the little crack on the left side. and also what is that little dot right above the escape key?

Attached Files:

2. jensepollense macrumors regular

jensepollense

Yea, mine's just like that too. It bothered me at first, but I don't even notice it's there anymore. I don't think it's worth trying to get a new one.

And that dot above the escape key is the microphone.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

The "little dot" should either be the Microphone or the Left Speaker...

When you used to own a PC notebook. Did you used to moan about the imperfections too? Or is this just something to moan about because it's a Mac? :confused: Seriously, if it bothers you that much, goto iFixIt.com and follow the guide to dismantle your mac!

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Wow that was completely unnecessary... he just wanted to know if anyone else had the problem.

And to answer your question OP, I don't have it on my new MacBook (exchanged Oct08 for Dec08), but I did on my old one.

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

ou have a valid concern. I don't think you have anything to worry about, unless the whole hinge is moving...

When you close the screen is it off form the base?

6. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

it doesn't shift at all, it just stays that way. when it's closed, its a teeny bit off, but totally unnoticeable. there's no such thing as perfect, and it doesnt bother me at all. just wanted to see if theyre all like that, since you can actually see the inside of the hinge through the little crack

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Yes there are definitely some like that.. I don't think it should be a problem in the future. The plastic on the back of my hinge is loose, so everytime i pick it up or tilt the screen i hear cracks ;) not a biggie

8. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I also get that cracking noise when i move the screen, but only after using the computer for a while. i guess it only happens when the metal heats up

9. Jake381 macrumors member

I noticed this last night actually and am glad I saw your thread. Yes, I have the same issue. It's about 2/3rds of a mm off.=A few keys also don't sit completely flush. It's a shame, but not worth moaning about too much.
    It's good to know that I am not the only one who has this. Was worried someone else in the family had dropped it or something :p

[edit]
    Something I have found interesting about this is that the lid still sits flush on both sides.
    Perhaps this is a design for removing the screen. The photos on the apple site show there should be a small gap on both sides rather than a large one on just one side.

10. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Hmm, that is interesting... but the right side of mine is tight, i just have a small gap on the left side. its weird they would intentionally leave the inside on the hinge exposed

11. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I don't think it's meant to be like that, but it probably falls within the margins.
    I saw one in Best Buy today with the hinge exposed and really bad slanted keys... But man, that sucker looks SOO good on display :D made me happy to think I had one at home waiting for me :cool:

12. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Mine was off just like your and it's completely fixed now, just close your macbook turn it around and use a hard thin edge like a metal ruler or finger nail on the opposite side and just slide it over because it does move and I fixed mine perfectly! :D one less thing to worry about

13. Domanic macrumors regular

I, for one, treat it as a feature. I use it to store my toothpicks when I have my macbook open.

14. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

LOL, you know what they say. When life gives you apples, make apple cider.

15. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

I have the same problem. And it does crack sometimes too when I move the screen.

16. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

I have noticed this too.

I think its because its apple and people bealive in this 'Apple is perfect'

All manufactures and companys have there problems. I have seen many pcs and windows laptops with even more problems......
    :rolleyes:toshiba = more than any other :rolleyes:

No product....is.....perfect.

17. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

I get a slight noise

Nothing to make me worry at all.....

It works, looks fine and performs

Im happy :)

18. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Did no one read my post I said I fixed mine and it's easy to fix

19. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31