slim and protective cases?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by younesmovic, Jul 19, 2014.

1. younesmovic macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a slim, yet protective case for the iphone 5. I like the lifeproof but I've heard bad things about it. like the sound isn't good and the touchscreen response isn't all that good either. If you have any suggestions as to which case you recommend, please let me know. Also I like navy blue cases o something like that color. thanks for the help.

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

3. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

On the upper end of slim and the lower end of protective is Apple's leather cases. I've been using mine for quite a few months and have dropped it several times with just a few scuffs in the leather resulting.

4. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

5. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I'll second the Apple leather case. I tried about a dozen different ones and eventually decided it was best. It has protected well with two drops on pavement, zero damage to phone. I have a good screen protector on too. I wish Apple made one for the iPod Touch5.

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I considered this case until I found out it was incompatible with Apple's OWN lightning to 30 pin adapter.

How can Apple design a case that's incompatible with its own freaking products?

So I continue to use the InCase Slider which works great with the adapter even though it's a bit bulkier.

7. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Razor blade and steady hand fixes that issue in 30 seconds.

8. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Does it weaken the integrity of the case?

I'm a bit wary of taking a razor to a case I spent $40 on.

9. bushman4 macrumors 68000

10. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I got a cheap but very sturdy "i-Blason" bumper from Amazon. Tons of color choices. A bumper is my chosen style: easy-off, decent drop protection on the corners, and both front and rear are elevated away from any gritty surfaces. But within the outer edge, the phone retains its original thinness. Simple and minimal. I was wishing for a "bumper case" before Apple even came out with them!

(I don't need scratch protection from keys etc.... my iPhone goes into pockets ALONE.)

I do think the i-Blason could be a little less thick. I could settle for less protection and more pocketability, especially on the rear rubber ring, which is oddly thicker than the front. (Making a deeper "well" in back.) Not a very visible difference, but you can feel it if you care to, and I know it could have been made slimmer.

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I use the official black leather Apple 5s case too and a tempered Glass Shield protector.

12. mjschabow macrumors 65816

What color apple leather case would you say goes best with the white and silver iPhone 5s?

I'm interested in the yellow greenish one but not sure what it really looks like in person.

13. jdag macrumors 6502a

I really like the Spigen Slim Armor case, and you can get them for $15-$18 depending on color. The Tough Armor is similar but a bit more bulky. The Slim Armor is quite protective and very unobtrusive. All ports and buttons are accessible and work perfectly with the case on.

14. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I use the iFrogz Breeze. It's a slim case that protects well. I had it for my iPhone 4, 4s, and now 5s and it's the only case I've found that I can actually keep on my phone.

It comes in a variety of color options

Attached Files:

15. Subwaymac macrumors regular

Subwaymac

Lifeproof Nuud is pretty slim and extremely protective.

16. AE14 macrumors 65816

I would also recommend the apple leather case. Additionally, the Otterbox symmetry fits the bill. I have both in black, and like both. THe black leather for me is my go to daily case.

17. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

I did the same to make my car charger fit a bit more easily. I whittled the corners of the charger rather than cutting into the leather though.

18. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Just received this today. My sister had it and when I saw it I had to have one. It's a soft case inside a hard case and is still slim, the power and volume buttons don't feel cheap and wiggly either. They're firm in place and easy to press. Very slim and very protective, and let's your iPhone still look nude. Best part is it's not expensive but actually comes in very nice packaging, and if you have amazon prime will get it within two days. Believe it or not I only saw my sister's case for the first time just yesterday and ordered the same one on the spot, I received it overnight via amazon Sunday delivery. Loving it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F1FO5UA/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pe_385040_30332190_TE_dp_1

19. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

If you don't mind the look of your case changing (blue stains from your jeans, dark oily spots, etc.) give it a shot. It says right on the packaging that the look will change with use since it's genuine leather but a lot of people have posted about how unhappy they are with how theirs have worn.

I can say from experience that the black case ages very gracefully.

20. AE14 macrumors 65816

This is my exact current set up.

21. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Having the white iPhone is really cool - I have it and love it. But finding a light colored, white or clear case for it is a challenge. Most of the protective or medium protective cases have TPU in the design. The TPU is fine in darker colors as you can't really see how it wears. But I prefer a white or clear case for my white phone and the lighter TPU cases feel and look great to begin with but soak up stains rather quickly. And the worst thing is - the stains won't release. So you end up with a cruddy looking case rather quickly. I ended up with a couple of polycarbonate cases to interchange in white and clear. While they don't provide any protection in a drop, they do provide good scratch protection and my phone still looks nice and slim. They don't yellow or pick up stains. And if they do get dirty, they wash up easily and look great again.

The Apple cases I believe are made with untreated aniline leather and this leather is also tough to keep clean in the lighter colors. It's kind of like nubuck where it will discolor from use. The leather might wear better being sprayed with a protectant like a weather proofer.

Not sure if you or anyone looking at this thread has tried the Corners4 protection. I haven't tried this but I saw a girl with these on her phone and thought they look like a great option - certainly great drop protection. I'm due for a new phone in the fall so maybe I'll try them.
    http://corners4.com/#design

22. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

You might want to try the Monoprice PC+TPU Edge Bumper. It's actually slimmer and still seems to work just as well (and quite inexpensive too).

24. chr macrumors regular

I've used an Apple leather case for almost a year, and while it's been really good, I need to replace it. I've done a lot of research, and settled on a Magpul Executive Field Case. I get it Friday, so we'll see if it lives up to the reviews.