Slim apple keyboard left usb doesnt work! help! and other problems!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bluedoggiant, Jan 14, 2008.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Very long story, ill try to be simple. for a reason, i cant have my keyboard plugged into my imac, i have an external usb hub, which is closer to my keyboard tray, and thats where i plug in my keyboard, my mouse is connected to the right usb plug. putting my keyboard and mouse on my actual desk is not an option, nor is getting a bluetooth keyboard and mouse!

my external usb (belkin), is connected to the power, so that devices that need extra power, can have it because my belkin usb hub has a power cord. my small 2gb usb flash drive has a light on it that flashes whenever the computer is reading or writing something to it. i like to use this on my LEFT usb plug on my keyboard, when connected to my belkin usb hub, it states it needs more power for the usb drive, im guessing it because of the light, and again, it has a power cord

i put the keyboard on my desk instead of keyboard tray temporarily to plug it into the imac's usb port. the left usb plug works just fine!!!!! i can plug in my usb drive.

Now, i have another problem, when ever my mouse is connected to the keyboard (as usual), and plugged into the usb hub, sometimes the mouse flies across the computer screen, but when its connectdc through the imac's usb hub, it doesnt.

im considering getting a usb extention for my keyboard cable, my MM will still be connected to the keyboard, and the usb extension will go straight to the imac, does anyone recommend a cheap (under $6) usb extension from here? i dont care about color, just a good one, that works, and also a trusted brand, thanx ALOT in advance!!!!

EDIT: do you think an extension will fix the problem?

2. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

There should be no problem with your keyboard, I would consider using your apple one year warranty. If not, try using the marketplace for an extension, or a place like macofalltrades.com or powermax.com.. if you contact them personally they will try to find a correct cord.

3. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

It sounds like your powered USB hub doesn't provide enough power over a single port to run three devices (keyboard, mouse, flash drive). That is actually pretty normal. As for the extension cable, I use one that came with a MacAlly USB hub that I got a couple years ago and it works fine for keyboard and mouse. I never tried adding a flash drive to the mix, but I can't see how it would hurt to try if it works with all three plugged into your iMac.

4. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

how about the flying mouse problem?

5. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

And also, do you think a usb extension cord would help??