Slim case w/ table lip & negligible button interference

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Tazzydnc, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Tazzydnc, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012

Tazzydnc macrumors member

Macrumors post

Merry Christmas forumites,

I received an iPhone 5 a couple days ago and I'm in the market for a case. I've done hours of searching online and purchased half a dozen cases from best buy & other local retailers, but can't quite find what I want. I'd really appreciate if some of you long time owners could give me some advice.

I'm looking for something that adds minimal size & weight to the phone and that protects the sides and back (so not just a bumper). I don't intend to use a screen protector, so I'm looking for a case that will prevent the iPhone screen from contacting the table when the phone is laying on it's face.

My biggest complaint with most of the cases that I've tried so far is that those with button overlays diminish the tactile feedback of the lock/unlock button, and with those that lack overlays I have to press really hard to get the buttons to click.

I intend to keep my phone in the case pretty much at all times, so removability isn't really a factor.

Rejects so far:

Speck candy shell (too much bulk)

Incase slider (inaccessible buttons)

Incipio slider (too much bulk)

*Griffin clear view (great weight & button responsiveness, but the clear panel scratches WAY too easily, and I've read reviews saying that it scratches the phone too)

Belkin candy sheer (actually really liked this one, but the LOCK button was a bit hard to press is all) <--I had mistakenly written "home"

Incipio frequency (same as belkin candy sheer)

I've heard good things about the poetic atmosphere case & Ringke slim. Budget is around $60 or less.

Thanks!

2. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Switcheasy Tones. Darker colors from slate to purple. White I've read gets dirty.

Like but nicer than sheer candy. Stopped me from being a case nerd.

3. Doc Evils macrumors regular

4. tsturbo macrumors regular

tsturbo

Checkout Spigen, lots of options, but the neo hybrid ex slim sounds like just what you are looking for. Also checkout the tech 21 impact band through the apple store.

5. Prospekt macrumors regular

6. golu14 macrumors regular

Lifeproof Frè !!

cant recommend it more, it a rugged case with dimensions of a much thinner case!
    it says its waterpoof dust proof snow proof and drop proof, but i'd still not risk it inside water but nevertheless it will protect it well, and keep it clean as it covers 100% of the phone, even the screen. and its much thinner and compact than an otterbox or other bulky mess

http://www.lifeproof.com/iphone-5

the case may or may not be in stock on the official website but i got mine from ebay for just us$ 48.99

7. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

otterbox defender

never worry about your phone again

8. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

None of these will accept the 30 pin to lightning adapter :(

9. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Just go with the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer. I've had the same one for about 3 months, and I have been constantly looking a better case even though I feel that the Belkin is the closest to perfect you will find for this type of case. The buttons aren't even that bad and definitely fulfill your "negligible button interference" requirement.

10. meistervu macrumors 65816

I have a Ringke Slim. It's minimal, with a very subtle raised lip. All buttons are accessible.

I like it because it has a soft feel, yet as thin as can be, and make the phone more comfortable, and the cut out are such that none of the ports or buttons are obscured or interfered IMHO.

I don't use it anymore because I now have an Atelier Pall wallet pouch (love it). But I have to admit that I does miss having the Ringke Slim on the phone because it's a little more comfortable than holding a bare phone. But I do love the look of the bare phone and I love the Atelier Pall wallet pouch so it's a small thing to give up. Plus the phone is more protected in the Atelier Pall wallet pouch than in most cases.

But if I were to use a case, I would go back to the Ringke Slim in a heart beat.

11. dinesh29888 macrumors member

Belkin grip candy sheer anytime .... I have like used more than 4-5 cases from speck, spigen, case mate and other cheap stuffs from ebay but belkin grip candy sheer is simply amazing ... Superb grip and mine is a black & green color which looks just stunning ... After getting this case i have stopped my iPhone case purchase. And it also goes well with the Spigen Glas.t.

12. Zandian macrumors regular

13. tsturbo macrumors regular

tsturbo

Or see the beauty of the ip5 again:D

14. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

ancient technology

15. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Really:confused::confused::confused: How is this ancient when the adapters WERE JUST RELEASED with the new iPhone! That is just stupid troll comments so go back to your troll hole please:mad:

Not everyone can afford to replace ALL of their car and home products to appease apples continued changes in power/data ports. This happened a few years ago when they changed the 30 pin connector that made it so everyone had to have an adapter or change out car harnesses, clocks, docks, radios etc.

Where do people like you come from??? It is selfish, arrogant comments like yours that are the reason why our country and people cant work together and become one again:mad:

----------

Yes, this is also one of the few that also has an opening large enough for the 30 pin to lightning adapter and the one I currently use.

----------

16. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

the 30pin has been out since it was released for the 3rd gen ipod classic (i still have XD).

its been around 9 years since then. with the size and speed of usb and micro usb, it was time for apple to finally change it.

the lightning connect is far more superior, more durable, smaller, easy to clean due to its sleek design of the port, and my favourite, you can plug it in without worrying which side is up

17. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

which has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with this thread, which is addressing "CASES" and what the OP is looking for. My comment was to "address" the case and what they could/could not accommodate in case he was using the adapter.

Your comment was not needed nor does it even make sense. It may be 9 years old and even in that 9 years they rearranged the pins that made users very angry and adapters were in use that "were" compatible with cases because they did not change the shape. WHO CARES...it was not a part of this thread. We are adapting to the lightning port and it is nice BUT case makers ARE NOT making cases for the adapter SOLD BY APPLE in the Apple Store so that owners can CONTINUE to use their iPhone Accessories WITH the case ON...Which does fit this thread in discussing the type of case the OP is looking for:eek:

18. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

then dont buy anything new and live in the 30pin product era:D

19. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The 30 pin adapter is for adapting expensive and durable goods like automobiles and expensive stereo systems to the Lightning adapter. In many cases there is no 'new' alternative.

20. swervinsuburban macrumors regular

21. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

then time for a new car and "expensive stereo systems"