Slim external HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DTphonehome, May 6, 2014.

1. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Hi all,
    I got a new MacBook Air, and want to put my pictures and media on an external drive as the internal 128GB drive isn't going to cut it.

SSDs are a bit too expensive right now, so I'm going to go with a traditional spinning HDD. I want the slimmest drive I can find, and narrowed it down to the Seagate Backup Slim, which goes for about $70-80 for the 1TB version. However, I noticed that macmall is selling the very nice Lacie Slim portable drive for just $40 for a refurbished 500GB model. The capacity is a little on the low side, but I figure I can upgrade the drive inside as my storage needs grow. I love the look and size of the Lacie enclosure. My concern is the reliability of a refurbished Lacie drive. Does anyone have any experience with refurbs? Or should I stick with a new Seagate drive?
    Thanks for any help!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Likely the drive inside a refurbished unit is what crashed and was replaced. So while the unit is refurbed, likely the drive inside is new.

4. Marty62 macrumors 6502

Lacie refurb sounds like a good deal - I would go for that and perhaps fit
    a HGST Travelstar 1TB 7200rpm inside ( 60 bucks ) I'm using 2 x of them and they are
    great.

Marty.

5. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

I'd personally go with the Seagate, I have two of the 2TB model and they're excellent...

Another consideration is that you'll need to buy another external hard drive as a time machine backup.

6. DTphonehome thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks all for the advice. Bought the refurb Lacie. I figure even if the drive fails I'll still have the coolest enclosure.

----------

I'll look into it. Is it a 7mm high drive? Because I'm pretty sure that's all the enclosure can handle.

7. Marty62 macrumors 6502

No it's 9.5mm but I bet the Lacie isn't limited to just 7mm!! - double check
    of course.
    M.

8. DTphonehome thread starter macrumors 68000

I'll let you know when it arrives, thanks!

9. g4cube macrumors 6502a

The 500GB Slim is 7mm. The 1TB and 2TB are 9.5mm

The Slim will only fit a 7mm drive.