Slimiest iPhone EVER!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tigerstyles, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Tigerstyles macrumors newbie

So sick of the this 6 slipping out of my hand of the chair out my pocket and god forbid it vibrate whilst on the coffee table! So glad I have a nice brown wallet trebling the thickness and weight of it now!

2. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Apple has an anorexic obsession with making every phone thinner than the last SMH

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's not so much the thinness of it but the material used. The metal-backed original iPhone was as slippery as the 6/6+ (the 5/5s isn't as slippery because the glass top and bottom provide friction).

4. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

First iphone that I've had to use a case on. Just for a bit of grip

5. tkingsley macrumors newbie

Agreed. iPhone 6 definitely is a little bit slippery all the time and because its so thin you feel like it might fall. I got the Apple leather case and am pretty pleased with it.

6. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

It's no longer practical to use the phone without a case.

Both for grip and for drop damage protection.

Furthermore the phones are bigger and the leather cases are thinner so it doesn't make a difference negatively if you have a case like how it used to add bulk to the smaller phones.

We've talked about this in other threads before. Just get the official Apple leather case, the phones are designed assuming you will have one; it solves all your problems and looks better too.

7. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

8. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I suppose it is a bit slippery but a case solves that.

9. Nermal, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I haven't dropped mine (yet) but I do find it harder to pick up off a table than my 4S was. It's so thin that I have to grip it with my fingertips when I pick it up, and the curved edges probably exacerbate the problem.

Edit: Murphy strikes again! Guess what I just dropped :eek:

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Bumper cases look terrible leather or not, and the Apple one is way overpriced. A bumper case can never make your phone look better.

11. meistervu macrumors 65816

Good thing we live in the normal world where one can add a case to a slim phone and make it thicker. Now we go and work on world peace...if only we can get a case for it.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

13. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

What did i just read?

You have a chair in your pocket, and your iphone is slimey?

14. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Lol sounds like a problem if you've got a chair in your pocket.

15. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

These phones are not designed for cases. Why would they design a great device to have it covered by some crap leather. Cases are for people who "feel" like being different, or unique or etc.......

Plus it makes them money. A five dollar slab of leather sold to you for a SMALL mark up.

16. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

17. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

18. FieldingMellish Suspended

Practicality was never Apple's strong suit in phone design. I'm finding that most products that win design awards all have fatal flaws in practicality or comfort. I saw my nephew's Motorola phone at Christmas and man did they get it right. Easy pickup and handling caseless, 3 gigs of RAM, contoured back that accommodates the human hand, etc. Then I go back to my uncomfortable slab of an IPhone 6 plus.

19. meistervu macrumors 65816

They did finally round the edges as I was suggesting numerous time. I found the sharp edges of the 4 uncomfortable. The 5 was better. But I love the 6 rounded edges. Imagine if the 6/6+ side was flat as the 4/5, it would be almost impossible to pick up.

20. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Wut? The iPhone 6 is very comfortable for me. Not at all slippery.

21. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Thanks goodness for that. If they would listen to some people on the internet, we would still be using huge bricks. One of things I love about the 6 is that I hardly feel it its there in my pocket. I don't know what kind of hands some people have but I have kept mine most of the time with no case at all and I have never drooped or such.

22. bushido Suspended

bushido

Defeats the purpose of making it thinner in the first place though. In that case they could have just kept the size of the 5S with a bigger battery. I suppose a thin phone sounds better in the marketing department

23. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

For grip, I like the sandstone texture that appears on oneplus one phones.
    Ultimately this would be available on an iPhone in 5.1" with 2gb or ram

24. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

A case added to a thicker phone would make it more thicker.

----------

I'm fine with their design choice.
    And my iPhone with the Apple leather case is perfect.

25. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

No it doesn't.

It makes most sense the way it is now. It is a renewable/replaceable outer layer (of your choice of style and variety) and literally a skin you peel off and buy a new one when it inevitably gets scratched or damaged from slight drops and scuffs.

Instead of permanently scuffing up your shell, you can remove the skin and replace it with a brand new fresh one after few months or years. Or at least when its time to sell.