Slimming Leopard without wiping disk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by netdog, Jan 23, 2009.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Working on a Rev A MBA SSD, I really need to clear up some room. My computer was recently repaired (SSD failure), and rather than doing a slimmed install on top of Apple's fresh Leopard install, I foolishly set things back in business with their bloated install.

I have used XSlimmer to remove all the Power PC binaries and languages, but still have printer descriptions that I don't need, as well as parts of iLife (Garage Band, iDVD, iMovie) that I don't need on this machine. Further, I am wondering if the original languages are still there.

Is there any way to remove all of the above? Am I better off backing up again, doing a clean reinstall, and reinstalling my apps and copying back my home directory? Can I do an archive and install? Anything else that I should look at removing?

FWIW, I own a copy of AppZapper as well.

2. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

I thought SSD were supposed to be more reliable?

I'm interested in this too as I'm quickly running out of space. Did XSlimmer give you much room back?

I'm wondering if all the random utilities (applications/utilities) can be safely removed.

3. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

About 2.5 GB

4. ayasinsk macrumors regular

XSlimmer helped me to get rid of 3.79GB on my Air.

5. keekl macrumors regular

keekl

Disk Inventory X reveals a lot of etc stuff that otherwise might be missed..