Slimming My Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BlizZ10, Nov 12, 2007.

1. BlizZ10 macrumors member

Hey,

I am trying to delete unnecessary files on my mac to help with space issues. I noticed there is a previous systems folder in my Mac HD that is taking up about 8.2 Gigs. What is the significance of this file? Also, would it be a problem if i deleted it? Do you guys have any suggestions for cutting down on space??

Thanks,
    BlizZ

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The previous system folder is your old system before you Archived and Installed (Leopard I assume?). This can be deleted completely, but since it is so large I assume that there could be some files in there that might be important to you (not your system). But if everything is running how you want it on your computer you can toss the whole folder.

How much HDD do you have? I figure a new iMac like that should have a 500gigger in it. Its not a bad time to pick up an external or possibly try backing up your picture library on DVD and deleting some of those off? I know how those folders can get massive. What about old .zips from downloads or something?

Not sure what junk you have on there to get rid of but system related files are generally the last thing to go. You could always use Onyx and ditch your uneeded printer and language files.

3. BlizZ10 thread starter macrumors member

Actually my HDD is not full at the moment... In fact I'm only running a macbook pro with 160 GB and i have a 160 GB external, but this is for time machine. I feel like my HDD is twice as full as before it was when i installed leopard.

So, you say if my computer is running as I want it, I can trash the whole thing without interupting anything on my Computer?

Thanks for the comment!!!