Sling Media Really Pisses Me Off!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Resist, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

When the SlingPlayer app came out for the iPhone I was very excited, then I saw they priced it at $30 and my heart sank. After spending $300 on several Sling related gear, I hadn't expected they would charge so much for this app. But after several months, I reluctantly purchased the app. After playing with the app for a while I enjoyed watching content from my Tivo while on the go, but found controlling my Tivo was a pain due to the iPhone's small screen.

So recently I received an iPad and was even more excited to use the SlingPlayer app with it. So I installed my iPhone app in my iPad and it works really well, much easier to navigate my Tivo because of the larger screen. Unfortunately, having to 2X the picture means the quality while good, is not what it should be on the iPad. No problem I thought, I'd just purchase the SlingPlayer app which is optimized for the iPad. Then I discovered that I would have to pay $30 all over again. Really?

For what Sling customers pay for the app, one would think it would work equally well with both the iPhone and iPad, and at the devices full resolutions. I can't be the only one pissed off at Sling Media for being so greedy. If you're listening Sling Media......lower the freaking price of the app! Better yet make it FREE like it is for the computer.

2. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

3. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

They are kind of scummy, add to that how every generation of software they make you upgrade your hardware. But it's just a company making a profit, if enough people get sick of it they won't buy.

4. Dirtywater macrumors member

True, their business practices are questionable, but the recent update to the iPhone app now let's you use your older devices. My SOLO and AV both work, and the quality is better. Nothing beats their new iPad app though, it's really good.

5. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Really?!? I have an AV that I lost hope for, this is great news. Any idea if the AV works on the ipad version?

6. Dirtywater macrumors member

I don't think it works on the iPad version (yet), but they put out a quick update after the 2.0 release to make it work for the iPhone version. I am totally stoked about that too, as I can now watch TV from both coasts on the iPhone.

To get the AV to work on my iPad, I launch the iPhone app and 2x it.

7. antok86 macrumors member

if you have dishnetwork and have VIP722 the sling adapter works great on the ipad with the free dishnetwork app

8. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

the only reason I don't care too much about the cost of apps is mainly because there is no additional costs after the adapter + app, no monthly cost or contract, so basically a one time fee & ur good to go

absolutely love my slingbox & can't wait to pick up my iPad 2 to get some large screen slinging' going!

9. bossxii macrumors 68000

If you feel $30 is to high on their mobile apps, which they sell to every customer and every device, what is fair? I personally have the iPhone version but considering how well the Sling "system" works I find it a rather good deal that for the $150 for a Slingbox solo and a $30 app I can watch live TV, access my DVR content anywhere I have cellular or Internet access. No monthly fee like say Hulu for crappy limited shows.

$180 bucks for unlimited usage to anything on my DVR and DTV box seems like one hellva deal. Not trying to sound to judgmental here but we are talking about $30 bucks on an entertainment item that is being used on an even bigger and more expensive toy, the iPad itself. Your $700 in for an iPad and Slingbox already, I guess I don't get the huge issue with a $30 app considering how well it works and what it allows you to do.

NCAA March madness + Slingbox + iPhone/iPad = never missing a game I want to watch at work or traveling. That alone more than justifies the price. To each their own, but seems like a great deal overall.

10. sinsin07, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

sinsin07 macrumors 68030

I could be mistaken, but the initial intent was to stream to your laptop device, which is free. When Sling first came out, not many phones were able to take advantage of streaming, this is 2005-2006 or so. The idea was, if you travel and take your laptop, you can stream your shows and not miss anything. If you want to stream to another device other than desktop/laptop like a phone, it's an additional 30 dollars

My Slingbox AV has always worked on the iPhone, 3G and 4G. What the Sling site said is the older boxes are not supported, not that they would not work.

11. Dirtywater macrumors member

While that might be true for your experience, it was not true for me and 2 co-workers. None of us were able to stream our AV's through our iPhone 3G, 3Gs or 4's.

We tried and it would not go through. Decent speeds at hand as well.

12. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

But considering I can use the service for free on my computer it kind of makes $30 a lot to use it on my iPhone, which I paid by the way. And even more so, when I have to pay the $30 again for the iPad optimized version. All I'm asking is that Sling Media recognize loyal customers by giving multiple app buyers a discount on the second app purchase.

Maybe I'm the only thinking in this economy that $60 is to much money for Slingbox apps to access via 2 portable devices. What I probably should have done was get the new smaller Macbook Air instead of the iPad, to access my Slingbox for free.

13. bossxii, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

bossxii macrumors 68000

This is my exact point. You like me own a $600 plus iPhone (subsidized) on a $80+ mo contract AND a $500+ iPad... $60 bucks, on time really doesn't seem like a game breaker. Sure I would love it the Slingplayer to be a universal app, but IMO the app delivers value for the price.

Maybe I'm crazy but I choose to spend the money on a toy/tablet etc... Buying useful apps I'll enjoy seems reasonable comparative to say dinner and a movie with my wife can easily run 60 to 100 bucks for one night, Slingplayer is a value to me. That night is a one and done, I get to enjoy my Slingplayer app over and over as long and as much as I want.

Bottom line it's all money we spend on entertainment, putting value on it is clearly different for everyone, I just look at it as a reasonable cost for the enjoyment I get from it.

14. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

If you don't like Sling Media, don't buy their products. In reality, 6 years (since the original model came out) might as well be 100 in the tech world. Six years ago, companies were still making VCRs and studios were releasing films on VHS. Do you hear people complaining about not being able to run Infinity Blade on their first-gen iPhones? No, because that's ridiculous. And the original iPhone came out only 3 years ago!

Technologies change. That's the price you pay to adopt them. Personally, I'm glad Sling didn't have to cater to everyone with outdated tech because I'm sure my experience with my Solo and Pro-HD (I was an owner of the original as well) would have suffered.

15. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

If you only use it at home, you can get the splashtop remote app and stream from your computer. Which looks a lot better than the 2x of the iPhone app.

I did not mind paying for it, though. They did not guarantee it would work with every product that came out, so the fact that they made it work with the iPad made me very happy. :)

16. Resist, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010

Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't know about it being a good value, but I guess you are right it's not a deal breaker, just insulting considering how much the hardware cost me. All these additional fees are getting old.

Guess I really don't understand why developers are charging so much for apps when their same service on a computer is free. Are they planning to charge for service on our computers down the road?

17. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Does the sling box iPad app work with the AV?

18. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

It is not a separate developer group, it's Sling that is charging for the app. They consider it an additional service. When you initially buy the device it is for desktop/laptop. Considering that in order to Sling you must go through their Sling servers, and you are charged nothing more after all is said and done, in the long run it is not that bad of deal.

Consider this, all the folks who were using Sling before the iPhone had to pay another 30 bucks, even though Sling allows you to transfer your license to another device (see link). This is because we had to purchase the app through the App store. If you were going from a Winmo device to a BB, you can do the transfer on their website. What will be interesting to see is if an iPhone user who moves to Android will be allowed to transfer their license.

I do agree on one thing, I wish they would have made the app universal.

Slingbox License Transfer

No. It says so on their site and I've tried,

19. iPad.Lover macrumors member

You can't be more right. +1

20. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Okay so I finally caved and bought the iPad Sling App. Those greedy folks at Sling Media reluctantly ended up getting money from me.

I will admit however, that this version of the app is much better than the iPhone version. The buttons are laid out around the screen very nicely and easy to navigate. I haven't tried it over the 3G network yet, but on my 10MB home WiFi it's very clear.

21. iPad.Lover macrumors member

nice to hear that man please keep us updated