Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Does anyone else seem to have "endless" issues with the Sling TV app? It worked fine on my Roku and Ipad, but I seem to always have to "swipe up" and force close the app due to the app screwing up.

Really wish you at least had the option to close out of apps after you are done using them, instead of the AT4 just putting the app into background.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Yes -- constantly, Sling looks pretty but streams like crap. I wound up getting the 2016 Roku Streaming Stick to have an Amazon Video app but discovered Sling performs much better on the stick -- once a stream starts, it stays. Also, the Roku Plex app is a lot nicer. Wireless audio is much more consistent as well. Thought I'd only be using the Roku a little, turns out I'm using it more than my ATV4. Clunky UI compared to tvOS, but everything works and I like the more ergonomic remote o_O

Last edited:

z06gal

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2011
My experience with Sling on the Atv4 has been very good so far. I would like a way to quit the app though like on the Nvidia Shield tv

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
My experience with Sling on the Atv4 has been very good so far. I would like a way to quit the app though like on the Nvidia Shield tv

You never have any problems that make it so you have to swipe and close the app?

Like entering the app and seeing nothing but a black screen? (with guide on bottom), or something saying no content available with this account or anything?

z06gal

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2011
You never have any problems that make it so you have to swipe and close the app?

Like entering the app and seeing nothing but a black screen? (with guide on bottom), or something saying no content available with this account or anything?

No. I have had no issues at all. The Atv4 is my primary device (Roku Ultra and Nvidia Shield tv). It is hard wired to my router which probably makes no difference but that is my setup. I have experienced the black screen on the Shield but never on the Atv

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
I signed up for Sling a month ago and the app is pretty bad on Roku and on the iPhone. The stream always has to buffer. Sometimes it just freezes. I for it mainly for sports, so if it weren't for WatchESPN access I would have cancelled Sling the first day. The app is unusable a third of the time (I get about 30Mbps down where the Roku is set up).

DirectTV Now is much better (on the iPhone, they don't have a roku app yet). Way smoother and far more responsive. It's the closest thing to watching actual TV that I've seen. I'll be going with them and will cancel Sling. They're giving away free Atv4's when you pay three months in advance and it looks fantastic on mine.

ARK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Sling recently updated this week. Did it get any better? I was having the same issues. Quite frankly I think Im going to drop it in favor of PSVue.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Sling recently updated this week. Did it get any better? I was having the same issues. Quite frankly I think Im going to drop it in favor of PSVue.
I just did, there is a world of difference going to PSVUE, everything is just plain better IMO.

The only downside is the ability to use it mobile (and on another network)

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I got a two month promo emailed to me from Sling. I decided I would give it another try. Surprisingly I haven't had as many issues as when I first signed up for it. Probably have as many blips right now as with the Directvnow service I signed up for. Love the way it looks as far as the UI. But much like Directvnow it suffers from not having a DVR function. (I know they are beta testing that right now)

Also, on demand stuff is kind of spotty like Directvnow. For shows it seems it only offers a handful of episodes, and most of the time they are random at best. Seems like it doesn't have the same rewind feature as Directvnow. It also seems like you can only add certain stuff to your favorites, compared to Vue where I can practically add anything with their service.

At this point Vue still offers the best value. It may not offer the same pretty UI as Sling. And it may not have the same $35 channel offer as Directvnow. But you have a true DVR, tv everywhere logins for almost anything. Very little to no glitches. It seems Sling and Directvnow have a ways to go before catching up to Vue. But I do like the competition that all these services provide. And I am looking forward to testing Hulu's live streaming service when it comes out next year.

Last edited:

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I got a two month promo emailed to me from Sling. I decided I would give it another try. Surprisingly I haven't had as many issues as when I first signed up for it. Probably have as many blips right now as with the Directvnow service I signed up for. Love the way it looks as far as the UI. But much like Directvnow it suffers from not having a DVR function. (I know they are beta testing that right now)

Also, on demand stuff is kind of spotty like Directvnow. For shows it seems it only offers a handful of episodes, and most of the time they are random at best. Seems like it doesn't have the same rewind feature as Directvnow. It also seems like you can only add certain stuff to your favorites, compared to Vue where I can practically add anything with their service.

At this point Vue still offers the best value. It may not offer the same pretty UI as Sling. And it may not have the same $35 channel offer as Directvnow. But you have a true DVR, tv everywhere logins for almost anything. Very little to no glitches. It seems Sling and Directvnow have a ways to go before catching up to Vue. But I do like the competition that all these services provide. And I am looking forward to testing Hulu's live streaming service when it comes out next year.

You think the UI is better on Sling?

I think the UI on the VUE blows Sling away...

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I prefer the Sling UI. One of the few things I like about Sling. But I still feel that overall Vue is a far better experience overall.
[doublepost=1482281583][/doublepost]I prefer the Sling UI. One of the few things I like about Sling. But I still feel that overall Vue is a far better experience overall.

JamW

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2016
The biggest downfall I've experienced with Sling is the fact that the vast majority of their available channels are set for east coast time(EST) Which means here on the west coast(PST) we get shows three hours sooner.

This may seem great, but the huge drawback is that "prime time" shows that start at 8:00pm EST we get at 5:00pm. and when it's 8:00 here most of the channels are moving into their late night programming. This usually means that by 9:00pm PST we now get the junk that channels dump just to fill time. Sling reps have tried a few things to remedy but none work. And the VOD is so limited that it doesn't offer us much of an alternative.

I've talked to Sling about getting more network apps to recognize Sling as a tv provider, thinking that at least I could go to the individual apps and stream content. Right now very, very few of those apps accept Sling.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I am really digging the experience of Slingtv on the Apple TV. I hope their DVR service is comparable to Vue. I wish I could beta test their DVR service. Am curious to see how that goes.

Reactions: eyeseeyou
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.