Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sling TV today announced that it will be increasing the price of its entry-level Sling Orange service by $5 per month, jumping the price up to $25 per month for subscribers. Existing subscribers will not be grandfathered in to their old price, and all Sling Orange customers will see the new monthly $25 price reflected in their bills starting in August.

Sling TV president Warren Schlichting explained in a blog post today that while the company's goal is to keep subscriber prices as low as possible, programming fees and other aspects of the service necessitate the monthly price hike. "Our team works hard to negotiate fair programming deals, with the goal of keeping your price as low as possible," Schlichting said. "Programming fees, however, only go one direction, and that's up!"

sling-tv-25.jpg

No other aspects of Sling Orange have been changed, so users can still subscribe to the $25 plan and get just over 30 live channels (including ESPN) and DVR features. Comparatively, Sling Orange is still one of the cheapest entries in live TV streaming market, with DirecTV Now starting at $35/month (down to $20/month for AT&T Unlimited plans), and Hulu with Live TV and YouTube TV starting at $40/month.

Alongside the price increase, Sling TV revealed a slew of new updates aimed at introducing free content, à la carte channels, movies on-demand, and more without requiring customers to pay for a base subscription (for now only on Roku devices). Part of the announcement is an attempt to get anyone who previously subscribed to Sling TV to return to the service.

When returning customers re-open the Sling TV app, they'll be able to access more than 100 hours of free TV shows and movies without restarting their subscription. These customers will also see ribbons that highlight free shows and films to watch, at launch including "Good Behavior," "Wrecked," "The Detour," and more.

Additionally, anyone can now purchase select channels à la carte without needing to sign up for an entire Sling TV tier. Right now, there are only eight channels available, but with the update if you're interested in only watching one of these channels in the Sling TV app, you can pay individually per month to get the access you want without other channels you might not watch. The company said that more channels will be added in the future, but as of now include:
- Showtime: $10
- CuriosityStream: $6
- Stingray Karaoke: $7
- Dove Channel: $5
- Outside TV Features: $5
- Up Faith & Family: $5
- Pantaya: $6
- NBA League Pass: $28.99
Outside of a Sling TV subscription, customers can now buy pay-per-view events as a one-time purchase in the app as well. There's also the option to buy movies in Sling TV without a monthly subscription, including a catalog of 5,000 popular films.

The company didn't clarify when exactly non-Roku users will see these updates, but confirmed other devices will be supported "in the near future."

Article Link: Sling TV Increases Cheapest Plan to $25/Month, Introduces Limited Free Content and À La Carte Channels

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Let me add the non-sports Disney owned Channels for $3-$5 per month total with no ESPN, etc. and include it in the multi-stream and maybe I would consider it.

Comment

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
It’s increasingly evident that most of these so-called cord cutting options are no different than traditional cable tv. They have no more negotiating power than a cable tv provider.

A la carte program purchasing remains the only bargaining advantage for consumers. Content makers, networks, and streamers can’t force you to pay for the B List content you don’t watch. Let the market decide what the content is worth, not the negotiators.

Comment

Niclisten

Suspended
Jun 1, 2017
It’s increasingly evident that most of these so-called cord cutting options are no different than traditional cable tv. They have no more negotiating power than a cable tv provider.

A la carte program purchasing remains the only bargaining advantage for consumers. Content makers, networks, and streamers can’t force you to pay for the B List content you don’t watch. Let the market decide what the content is worth, not the negotiators.

Not to mention that the interface and the app itself are just awful. It’s not worth $15 much less 25

Reactions: max2
Comment

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
I tried Sling for 3 months a little over a year ago. While I liked the price, the almost constant buffering made for a miserable watching experience.

Reactions: tonyr6
Comment

If a-la-carte television ever arrives, it will be priced such that whatever number of channels a person actually wants costs about $100/month. There is no getting the 50 cents to a dollar per channel fantasy that so many of us imagine. The goal for all the other links in the chain would be to make MORE money, not less. Else, why take the hit and who (voluntarily) takes the hit?

Reactions: aristobrat
Comment

turbineseaplane

macrumors 604
Mar 19, 2008
It’s increasingly evident that most of these so-called cord cutting options are no different than traditional cable tv.

Not only that, long term streaming cable tv will be MORE profitable for content/cable co's as they are offloading the infrastructure costs to their customers.

You need to pay for your own internet just to be able to pay for the streaming TV.

They are going to laugh all the way to the bank here..

Comment

HailstormX

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
I tried using sling customer service was terrible and the app was horrible... Been using YouTube TV at 35 a month. probably the best for your money and flexible were your can use it. 3 screens works well. Sling the Sprint of TV streaming lol idk

Comment

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
DirectvNow is the best value of all the streaming services. Especially if you have AT&T unlimited phone service. I’m paying $20 a month for directvnow with over $65 channels. Actual relevant channels that don’t suck. And I get HBO for free.
And if you don't have AT&T, Philo is the best value.

Comment

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
If a-la-carte television ever arrives, it will be priced such that whatever number of channels a person actually wants costs about $100/month. There is no getting the 50 cents to a dollar per channel fantasy that so many of us imagine. The goal for all the other links in the chain would be to make MORE money, not less. Else, why take the hit and who (voluntarily) takes the hit?

When the Apple TV was introduced, I saved some change by buying TV seasons of the shows I actually followed.
For what cable cost me yearly, I could buy the seasons of approximately 20 shows if I wanted. Interestingly, I discovered that there weren’t that many shows that I actually sought out. Most of my cable viewing was mindless, unsatisfying channel surfing.

Eventually, I tried Netflix and subscribed to it exclusively for several years. It had plenty of content. I saved $$$. Lately, Netflix content has become less appealing. I sampled Hulu, HBO Go, and Prime TV. Each has some promising content but I’ll eventually consume those things I like and have less reason to subscribe. What I think I’ll do is rotate my subscriptions: subscribe to Netflix for a few months, then Hulu; subscribe to Prime for a year, cancel for a year, resubscribe a year later. This will allow each service to refresh its content.

Comment

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
No love for PS Vue? Or maybe they're being eaten up by Sling, DirecTV Now and YouTube TV?

Admittedly if PS Vue ceased to exist, I would probably go to DirecTV Now.

Comment

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
DirectvNow is the best value of all the streaming services. Especially if you have AT&T unlimited phone service. I’m paying $20 a month for directvnow with over $65 channels. Actual relevant channels that don’t suck. And I get HBO for free.
I'll one up you on an even better plan... the Grandfathered GoBig tier for $35:)

Comment

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I thought about trying Sling a while back. The price was right but, the channel selection was anemic. I decided to go with Directv Now. For $40 a month, (that includes HBO) I got the "Go Big" package, which has over 100 channels. So far so good.

Comment

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast

Diddo for me. I had considered Sling before choosing the same route as you. Their Apple TV offer didn’t hurt either.
And then adding ability to record (even if limited capacity to start) is cool.

Edit: How do they get away with calling it a la cart? Sort of forced to choose one of two packages... only handful of individuals.

Comment

marty11

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
MLB on Sling - NBC Sports is close to unbearable this year with low resolution, constant cutouts and poor quality. I will not be renewing service and instead looking at Direct TV through ATT.

Last edited:
Comment

ignatius345

macrumors 68040
Aug 20, 2015
Maybe our needs are just modest, but I find that Netflix ($11), Hulu w/o commercials ($12) and occasional as-needed HBO Now ($15) or Showtime ($11) subscriptions cover most of what we want to watch. We probably spend an additional $15-20/month on iTunes rentals, and also Amazon Prime video (not counting the price because it seems more of a side benefit of Prime) fills in a few gaps. So that's ~$50/month or so? I think that still comes in well cheaper of traditional cable, so overall I'm fine.

Comment

bLackjackj

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2016

You don't get hbo for 'free'. Part of your sub is paying for it, Lol Do you really think that hbo gives it away free.or.that directv is doing community service?
[doublepost=1530227353][/doublepost]
And I'll one up you, I got go big for $35 but also free HBO. Grandfathered in as well. Lol.

Its not free, part of your sub is paying for it.

Comment

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I tried Sling for 3 months a little over a year ago. While I liked the price, the almost constant buffering made for a miserable watching experience.

I have a Roku Ultimate with a hardwired internet connection and there is no buffering issue (i.e. I can't see any problem with the service).

I suspect it was either your internet connection or wireless connection.

You also might be using a Roku streaming stick which has video streaming issues in many cases.
[doublepost=1530231114][/doublepost]
MLB on Sling - NBC Sports is close to unbearable this year with low resolution, constant cutouts and poor quality. I will not be renewing service and instead looking at Direct TV through ATT.

What hardware do you use for Sling (Roku, Apple TV, etc) and what is your networking setup ?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.