Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During the tvOS section of Apple's WWDC keynote today, the company confirmed that Sling TV will be getting an app for the fourth-generation Apple TV. Now, Sling TV has confirmed that the live-streaming app is available to download from the tvOS store, "delivering a live, linear and on-demand multichannel pay-TV service all within a single app."

sling-apple-tv-app.jpg

The Apple TV rollout will introduce a brand-new user interface that the company plans to install on other devices in the coming months. Anyone who downloads Sling TV today to join its beta multi-stream service will additionally gain access to new channels owned by Fox; across all services, new channels from Viacom will also be available.

There's a bundle discount available for users who have yet to purchase an Apple TV, and intend to join Sling TV as well. New customers will have the chance to purchase a new 32GB Apple TV for $89 (previously $150), when they also pre-pay for a three-month subscription to Sling TV ($20 per month), which would eventually equal the Apple TV's original price.

More in-depth coverage of every big piece of tvOS and Apple TV news can be found in our WWDC keynote roundup.

Article Link: Sling TV Launches App for Apple TV Following WWDC Announcement

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Like many other apps (but not all), can I run this on Multiple AppleTVs at once?
"In order to use our Services, you must have a Permitted Device, and you will need to obtain such Permitted Device from a third-party provider of such device at your sole cost and expense. You may use more than one Permitted Device, but the number of Authorized User(s) concurrently accessing or using our Services may be limited to one (1) Permitted Device at any ti"

so the same as hulu plus IMO

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
"In order to use our Services, you must have a Permitted Device, and you will need to obtain such Permitted Device from a third-party provider of such device at your sole cost and expense. You may use more than one Permitted Device, but the number of Authorized User(s) concurrently accessing or using our Services may be limited to one (1) Permitted Device at any ti"

so the same as hulu plus IMO

The new multistream beta supports up to three devices simultaneously.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I have a Slingbox. If this allowed access to it like the iOS Slingplayer app, that would actually be something. Then I could travel and take an Apple TV, hook it up and access my home TV.

As it is I can take an Apple TV, hook it up, use the Slingplayer app on my iPad or iPhone and then AirPlay to the Apple TV. That is twice the steaming, once to and once from the iOS device.

Reactions: anzio

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF
Anyone rely on SlingTV for live sports? What has the experience been like?

If they have the channels you want, definitely go for it. I've been impressed. They've got some Pied Piper-level compression stuff going on behind the scenes. Great image with no bandwidth issues. I'm using it on a Roku4, but have also accessed with the iOS app and the OS X app. All worked well.

tms0028

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2016
Here is a question that I haven't had much luck in getting an answer from Sling about: does a SlingTV subscription also give you access to live streams or on demand content from participating steaming apps like WatchESPN or CBS Live? Those apps always require you to login with a cable subscription, so cord cutters like myself have always been short changed. Curious if anyone else who uses SlingTV has been able to use that subscription for similar apps.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm curious, with Sling what exactly are you paying $20 a month for if you already have to have a subscription to the content?

Isn't that like paying Apple an extra $20 a month to watch Netflix on an ATV?

I'm confused.

bigrell486

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Home
Here is a question that I haven't had much luck in getting an answer from Sling about: does a SlingTV subscription also give you access to live streams or on demand content from participating steaming apps like WatchESPN or CBS Live? Those apps always require you to login with a cable subscription, so cord cutters like myself have always been short changed. Curious if anyone else who uses SlingTV has been able to use that subscription for similar apps.
Yes.

Jwhite1

macrumors member
May 12, 2015
Akron, Ohio

Yes, I do. Don't watch much tv other than sports so it works great for me (paired with Netflix) and saves me$. Live sports are good for the most part, only problem (other than occasionally lagging) is the delay/latency. It's not bad, however I've notice basketball games seem to be a minute or so behind live tv. Not a big deal but I like to play draftkings etc and if I follow the score live on my iPad via ESPN app etc I notice sling is a minute or so behind. Kind of a "spoiler" but not the end of the world. I'd recommend sling, personally.

Reactions: _mdavenport

Proteinaceous

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004

I can confirm that, yes, a Sling subscription will give you access to the WatchESPN app. I don't think it gives you access to any other TV apps (eg, History channel, etc.). Perhaps this has/or will change in the future.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
If that rumored "Air TV" thing (that would supposedly co-locate local OTA channels within the Sling app) ever comes to fruition, then this would make for a pretty decent live TV solution for me.

Nramos33

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2014
Like many other apps (but not all), can I run this on Multiple AppleTVs at once?

Yes, but it depends on the package. They have a single stream package where you can only use everything on one TV.

Then there is a multi stream package where you can use it on up to 3 devices simultaneously. This impacts the channels you get. You can always get the channels you're missing, but it costs extra.

Both packages are good, but it honestly depends on what you like.
[doublepost=1465876150][/doublepost]

I'm using it now to watch the NBA Finals on a projector.

Sling works great. It's better than the ESPN standalone app. For example, I love Around the Horn on ESPN. On the ESPN app it disconnects when the new ATH comes on. Then it keeps kicking me out for about 2 minutes while things stabilize. This doesn't happen on my laptop, just their app on ATV.

Sling will pause, rewind a few seconds and show what you missed. ESPN's app sucks and their streaming service needs better support. But sling kicks ass and it's 10x better using sling than TNT's website.

Honestly, try it for 7 days. But honestly, I love it. Plus, during the summer I can cancel until football comes back and then re-enable it.
[doublepost=1465876635][/doublepost]
I'm curious, with Sling what exactly are you paying $20 a month for if you already have to have a subscription to the content?

Isn't that like paying Apple an extra $20 a month to watch Netflix on an ATV?

I'm confused.

Sling is for cable cutters. If you're paying Comcast or whoever for these channels then it isn't worth it.

But let's say you live in an apartment complex with Internet included but cable is extra. You can get sling and you have access to ESPN, TNT and other live sports.

Or in my case, I was paying $75 a month with Comcast for Internet and HBO. I asked how much for ESPN and they said the cheapest package was $95 a month. I ditched Comcast, got a new ISP for $35 and 40mbps Internet. I can activate HBO for a month whenever I want for $15. I can get ESPN for a month for $20 along with a bunch of other channels. And if I have it all today, it'll be $70 for ESPN, HBO and 40mbps Internet, which is way better than anything Comcast offers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.