Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sling TV has updated its Apple TV app in an effort to simplify access to content and enhance discoverability on the online streaming television platform.

sling-tv-grid-guide.jpg

The new user interface upgrades, which are based on customer feedback, include improvements that put content front and center, while enabling subscribers to manage favorites and see more information about shows before viewing.

In the new larger grid guide view, more images and blurbs now appear for the currently selected show, while filters on the left-hand side of the screen filter channels by categories including My Channels, Sports, Movies, and Kids.

Meanwhile, individual channel guides can be accessed by clicking the channel logo on the left of the grid guide to see all the content available on that channel, and clicking a show now also offers more images and information on other seasons available via the streaming service.

sling-Manage-Buttons-apple-tv.jpg

Elsewhere in the update, Favorite channels gain some visual UI improvements, and can now be managed by selecting an orange icon at the front of a row, allowing subscribers to view their recordings and edit content in the continue watching ribbon.

Lastly, tapping the Apple Remote touch pad during streaming now lets users view more information about what they're watching, including show name, description, closed caption options, player controls are more.

Sling says the new features for Apple TV are set to come to other Sling TV-supported devices in the future. See the Sling blog for more information.

Article Link: Sling TV Update Brings Interface Improvements for Apple TV Users

Bistroengine

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Hopefully the update also fixes the horrible playback problems I’ve been having. Many times the app just hangs when I try to start watching a show. Just sits and spins the orange wheel forever.

MacSince1985

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
Minor update that does not address more important UI issues, such as the ability to organize favorites (or overall have a channel order that makes sense).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.