Slingbox and the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Racktacular, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Racktacular macrumors regular

Has anyone gotten the slingbox to work with the iPhone? I actually just thought about it, as I do have a Slingbox, but wanted to know if anyone has tried it already. If so, does it work nicely or not at all?

2. jayhawk1225 macrumors newbie

I had the same questions and here is the answer I got from Sling:

Thank you for contacting Sling Media support.

Unfortunately, the I-phone is not compatible with the Slingbox. We have not developed a software to make it compatible as yet. We have no official information about if it is gonna be released soon.

We suggest you to keep checking our website for more updates and we really appreciate your e-mail. This will help us to have understanding of customer's needs.

If you need further assistance please call us at 1-877-G0-SLING from monday - Friday from 7am-7pm PST and Saturdays from 8 am to 5 PM.

I bet Sling will come around eventually. I sure hope so!

3. alljunks macrumors regular

it would be nice if it works....my old t-mobile Dash works fine for slingbox..

4. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Yeah but thats a WM phone, big difference.

The Slingbox itself encodes the video to wma format, so getting it to play on the iPhone will be tricky. Add the fact that you cannot add your own apps (legitimately) and it seems like this isn't going to be easy, and not going to be soon. I pray I'm wrong, but I definitely don't have my hopes up.

5. savar macrumors 68000

savar

That would be the tipping point for me to get an iphone (and a slingbox, for that matter).

6. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the reply. That saves me the time of setting it up and then trying to figure out why it isn't working.

7. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

After having SlingPlayer Mobile on my Moto Q for 6 months and using it maybe three times, I can honestly say this isn't a big deal for me. I thought SPM would be the killer app for my phone but i was really tough trying to navigate menus with the tiny little screen (might be better on an iPhone). Now - on my MacBook Pro - different story altogether.

8. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I guess it would be possible to build a Web 2.0 application that runs on a server machine (desktop at home) and transcodes the slingbox's feed to something the iPhone could handle via Safari.

9. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Its also a different story with a touchscreen phone. It really would be sick on the iphone & wifi, I really hope they are working on it.

10. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

My suggestion: Buy a 2nd media player if you can afford or want it. I love my iPhone but I needed MS Office to go and the ability to watch Flash videos (for work). So while I'm rockin' my lovely iPhone, I have a UMPC with Slingbox on it.

In other words, the iPhone is fantastic, but it's not yet equipped to do all things. If there's something you MUST have, look into a second portable gadget, maybe :)

11. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

12. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

Well FWIW, I received an iPhone survey from ATT about a month ago (satisfaction survey) and one of the questions was do you use a slingbox.

I have to think there was something to that. Why else would ATT care if I have/use a slingbox?

BTW, I miss being able to use my phone to watch my slingbox. I did on my PPC phone (Sprint) before getting the iPhone. I truly miss it. This is the one app I REALLY miss. :mad:

13. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I've received surveys from other companies with the "do you use a slingbox" question. I think it is just an indicator of early adopter/technical savvy more than a sign that they are considering this feature.

14. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

With this in mind...

Is it possible to have some sort of transcoding function to work with Orb? I know some users have used Orb for Sirius and XM, however that is a straight audio feed.

I assume the tricky part would be picking up the Sling signal from the box and transcoding it on computer? Would you have to have a specific input on the computer for video out, or would you have to hack into the Slingplayer software?

Would something as simple as telekenisis work so you could "view" your desktop with the sling software running? Assumes you are running Windows I suppose.

15. seafurydriver macrumors member

After the iphone was annonced there were some stories about Sling Media reps meeting with Apple to discuss working together on a sling player for the iphone. It would be a great addition to my iphone but I have a hard time believing it will happen anytime soon, as it lacks the revenue generating potential that seems to set the priority level for Apple concerning new apps. But I would love to have Apple prove me wrong.

Oh, and while the boys in Cupertino are at it why not also coming up with a sling player app for the AppleTV. That would be a KILLER app that would give some much needed functionality and versatility to the AppleTV.

I love my sling player here in China, as it's exempt from censorship (although the IP address does occasionally get blocked).

16. GreasyWeasel macrumors member

Has anyone tried using something like this with their mac running the mac version of the slingplayer? Just wondering if this a possible way of doing it. I know it would be slow and is far from ideal but at least it might be a start. I can't try this out since I don't have an iPhone yet.

17. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

I think I mentioned that as a possibility.

However, if I understand the setup correctly, the output from Slingbox that the software on the computer picks up is not the correct type of file format. If it it were, I think you'd have to somehow access the sling software on the resident computer in order to have telekenisis access the file(s).

18. rsbell macrumors regular

rsbell

No one's mentioned the fact thayt we are stuck with Edge (assuming no wifi reception). My Slingbox worked well with my BlackJack (with 3g), but I doubt Edge would allow an acceptable viewing experience.

19. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Been using Tversity when I have WiFi with great success. Wouldn't dream of trying it while on EDGE.