Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christall109

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
Hey Guys good news according to 9to5mac (a site that seems to have good sources) said that the long awaited SlingBox App for the iPhone is in the App Store's Approval process.

What a nice Christmas present this will be....

Here's a video of it in action.

MSD401

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2006
if this is for real... its time to jump into the slingbox area for me... :D

redrog

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
I suspect they are getting mixed messages. The Blackberry version is due in the next few days. The iPhone version will follow but I doubt it will follow that quickly.

Fingers crossed anyhow.

gear71428

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
I think this is a video of Slingbox demoing the app on a jailbroken 1stG iphone. If so its been around for awhile. It will be a bit longer before the real app comes out. UNFORTUNATELY.

hawk1226

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
i forgot the slingbox's limitations...if I have it hooked up on a TV at home that i access from my computer at college, will this application my my phone be able to access that same box at my home?

nutsnbolts

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
This is great news. I have disconnected my slingbox when I moved from Windows Mobile to an iPhone. Yes, I can still use it for a laptop or computer but the great thing about the slingbox was actual mobile phone use!

Now if ATT can fix their dang spotty 3g service!

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
i forgot the slingbox's limitations...if I have it hooked up on a TV at home that i access from my computer at college, will this application my my phone be able to access that same box at my home?

If I'm understanding what you're asking, the answer is yes; however, you can only access your slingbox from one place at a time. In other words, if you are watching your slingbox from your computer at college you can't have someone else also watching from another remote location - it allows for one remote viewer at a time. You can access your slingbox from your phone (iphone in the very near future hopefully:p), your computer etc. but only one person can be logged in at a time. Hope that answers your question.

Evev12

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
This thread is very misleading. You'll be hard pressed to find someone that's done more research regarding Sling coming to the iphone than me. In fact, that's the whole reason I waited a year to buy an iphone, because the first one had no 3G and thus couldn't sling my Slingbox. Not to say there aren't people that have ties to these companies that may be more knowledgable on the topic, but I've researched it till I was blue in the face. And from everything I've gathered, there's no reason whatsoever to believe that this is anywhere even close to "around the corner". I hate to burst everyone's bubble, and I hope I REALLY hope I'm wrong, but it's just not going to happen. Could it eventually, maybe...soon, no. That's the same video, and pretty much the same post they posted back in June of '08 (on yes...a jailbroken first gen iphone). At this point I've just grown sick with the all the talk, nobody knows what's going yet everybody insists on making crazy claims and feeding into the rumors. I've heard everything from, "Sling is a lazy company that's dragging their feet" (which is partially true) to "Apple/AT&T will never let it happen" (also partially true) to my favorite, "I know someone at Sling personally and it's on its way" . I've just learned to throw my hands up and wait. I'll beleive it when I see it - and I don't expect that to be anytime soon. If a phone better suited for me comes out before it's release and it has a Sling App, I'll simply change phones and wait no more. For now Orb will do.

dss

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
IEvev12, i'm in a similar boat to you. I've scoured every last scrap of data out there as this is the last big app on my "wish list." My reading is similar to yours:

- I don't think Apple or AT&T will have an issue with this. They let ORB through and AT&T has Sling running on other smartphones on it's network.

- I believe the holdup has been clearly on Sling's part. They have been slow to market with EVERYTHING they have touched the past two years. They have also clearly said that the Blackberry is next in line, followed by the iPhone. The Sling Beta moderator hinted that the Blackberry release (announced almost a year ago) is imminent, as in this week.

- If the BB client his the market soon, there is the chance that Sling got the message and hustled to get the iPhone app out the door as well and it really is sitting with Apple waiting for approval. The Beta manager "Buzz" did mention a couple of weeks ago that he spoke with the iPhone project manager and made a typically cryptic comment that we would be pleasantly surprised with what he had heard.

- 9to5 has been a reliable source of info previously. They never implied that the video was current (it was clearly the Alpha shown back at the WWDC), it seemed more like something they were adding for additional background content to put in their article. I'm hoping they are right this time, but either way, it does seem like this is finally inching closer to reality.

dss

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
So much for that. "Buzz" the moderator (and beta manager) posted over at the Sling Forums that the article is "bunk."

hawk1226

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
If I'm understanding what you're asking, the answer is yes; however, you can only access your slingbox from one place at a time. In other words, if you are watching your slingbox from your computer at college you can't have someone else also watching from another remote location - it allows for one remote viewer at a time. You can access your slingbox from your phone (iphone in the very near future hopefully:p), your computer etc. but only one person can be logged in at a time. Hope that answers your question.
Thanks alot, that answers my question. If only this hasn't been a rumor.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
I didn't expect it to be true but was still hoping, oh well. :( Hopefully the BlackBerry app at least will finally come out (I saw that post and it certainly was implied news would come within a week). That at least would be a step towards the iPhone.

stiphone

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
So when is it coming out then? I'm waiting to fix my old slingbox up as I had disconnected it too when i moved from Windows Mobile to iPhone.

divabimbers

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2007
So when is it coming out then? I'm waiting to fix my old slingbox up as I had disconnected it too when i moved from Windows Mobile to iPhone.

No one really knows. All Slingbox has said that it's the next thing they're working on after they get the Blackberry client out. I'd like to at least see it sometime in 2009.

AMcBroom81

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Mt. Carmel, IL
So much for that. "Buzz" the moderator (and beta manager) posted over at the Sling Forums that the article is "bunk."

This is correct, I asked "Buzz' aka MegaZone Beta manager, his exact words were, This is Bunk. So 9 To 5 Mac got it wrong. It will come but not sure how soon. :(

UKmacman

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2007
It really is all a bit of a joke. I am a big slingbox fan and have the system ready to go with my iphone but kind of hope someone beats them too it.

In this day and age it is all too hard to get people begging for your products and the management at Sling really need sacking. Do they really think they can wait forever and people will still want the app when they release it in 2010?

Technology is moving on all the time and you only have to look at the BBC iplayer (UK readers only) at what is possible now.

Either the owner of Sling is sooo rich that he simply doesn't need the extra cash or is a little stupid.

I really don't mean to be rude to the guys who run Sling but come on? I don't believe Apple is holding them up as Orb went live and if that was the case surely someone would say 'hey it's not us it's apple' but they don't.

I know they have been working on sling.com and probably see that as they way forward but they could for sure make millions through the app release plus extra box sales - but I guess they don't want to.

So it looks like no sling for xmas on the iphone and that probably will go for 2009 as well. Is there anyone who works for Sling who reads this forum and wants to post a reply?

At least try and defend yourself? Come on!!!

iSaga

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
Damn 9to5mac got me all excited for nothing, I have been checking appsniper every hour hoping this app would show up. Instead about 30 fart sound apps have shown up instead.

markgamber

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2005
Redneck, PA
Who, from Sling, is going to waste their time on this? There's about 10,000 other threads all complaining about Sling, are they supposed to reply to all of them? And reply with what? Some nebulous time frame they'll undoubtedly miss? Someone did beat them to it, by the way, and they're called Orb. It works like a champ and I watch live tv on the iPhone all the time. Sure beats sitting around complaining about something you couldn't do yourself if you tried and expecting actual answers from anyone that matters.

dss

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Sorry but I own Orb and it's great, but it only works if you either have a PC near your cable box or can get good OTA reception on your desktop. I have DirecTV and it's nowhere near my desktop so Orb is just not a practical solution.

dss

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
So the Blackberry App is finally in a public beta on 12/30. Hopefully that means more resources can be devoted to getting the iPhone app out the door since that is supposedly up next. I'm hoping Q1 on 2009.

stiphone

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
lol. looks like i should sell off my Slingbox then. Better get a few bucks off of it then to wait till they release an iPhone application. Who knows when they'll release it. By that time, there might be a newer version of slingbox or some other similar product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.