Slingbox challenges - resolution and remote

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by DerJapaner, Mar 7, 2010.

1. DerJapaner macrumors newbie

I have successfully set up my slingbox with TV and also linked it back well to my Iphone. Love it.

Now I would love to connect Apple TV to the game. I connected YUV/component cables and audio cables to the HD connector from Sling Media. When I try to connect it does play sound but does not show any picture in the preview screens. When continueing despite this, it says successfully completed AND laterflags an error saying "unsupported signal (like 1080p) is connected". I tuned down resolution on apple TV but no change.

Also I can either use the Apple TV remote control OR the virtual one from Slingbox...never both, which is kinda counterproductive.

Solutions for these two issues anyone?

Thanks!

2. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Is the Apple TV's HDMI output still connected? My experience is that, unlike many other devices, Apple TV does not output component video when there is an active HDMI connection. My solution has been to disconnect the HDMI output and reboot the Apple TV by pulling the power plug. Yuk!

3. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Regarding the remote - You might check that your Apple remote is NOT paired to the Apple TV. (Menu/Settings/General/Remotes/Pair Apple Remote on the Apple TV) I think that will allow the Apple TV to respond to the the generic simulated Apple remote presented by the Slingbox IR flasher. Otherwise, some more info about how you switch from the Apple remote working to the Slingbox remote working would help.

4. DerJapaner thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Kevin,

thanks for replying on this matter. Component output video works, I can see the apple tv on my LCD, but not in the slingbox. HDMI is not connected anymore.

The Slingbox remote does work if I unpair my original apple remote, but this can not be a real solution, no? Does that mean I always have to pair/unpair whenever I leave home or come home?

Cheers,

Nils

5. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Download the Remote app for the iPhone--it's free and offers tons more control than the small Apple remote. That way you can also leave your Apple remote unpaired and still have control of your :apple:TV using your iPhone at home--only caveat is that you can only use the app over wifi.

6. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

The Apple remote should still work with the Apple TV after it is unpaired. Pairing is just a way to select one particular Apple remote in case you have another one that you use with a different Apple device and don't want that one sending commands to the Apple TV.

7. DerJapaner thread starter macrumors newbie

Tbay - yup I have used the remote control ...my wife does not fancy doing that though :)

@Kevin - great tip, was not aware of that. Works for my living room AppleTv and will check later for the key one in the sleeping room. Thank you.

So I am just lost on the resolution issue now - help anyone?