Slingbox for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by navguy, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Ahzroe macrumors newbie

Now to find a good deal on a Slingbox. I am looking for a Pro-Hd. Best price I found is $239 with shipping at JR Electronics.

2. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Felt like being robbed by Sling Media

Felt like being robbed by Sling Media. $30 for the iPhone app, $30 for the iPad app, $299 for new hardware. My current Pro box is not supported. The Pro box streams 1080i just fine on the browser. Sling is doing this to sell more hardware. FAILED!!!!!!!

3. jull macrumors member

jull

So does anyone actually have this app along with the slingbox? I am ready to buy but I wanna know how well it streams on WiFi and 3G

4. Fedorov macrumors 6502

Yea, I got an iTunes card with a new iPod Touch I bought for xmas gift so used it to get the SlingPlayer app.

It's pretty decent what I've seen so far - I guess the best way to look at it with regards to the price is you are turning your iPad into a very portable TV that you can take in any room or wherever else you happen to be and watch your own TV so maybe it is just about worth the price for the freedom it gives you.

5. aprofetto8 macrumors regular

How is the quality when streaming over 3G?

6. keihin macrumors newbie

Keep in mind that your 3G downstream connection may not be the biggest bottleneck for SlingBox viewing. It might be your home upstream internet connection. Cable internet is notorious for their asymmetric connection rates.

My upstream rate varies between about 300-500 kbps and is definitely the limiting factor when viewing on my iPhone4 over WiFi, and may be when using 3G, depending on the quality of the connection.

I haven't bought the iPad player yet as Time-Warner cable is currently making life difficult by disabling the component outputs on my cable box when the TV is turned off (and the HDMI handshake fails). Ridiculous but true. Hello, U-Verse!

7. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

8. aprofetto8 macrumors regular

9. Fedorov macrumors 6502

I've only got a WiFi iPad I'm afraid so can't answer that sorry.

10. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

:confused: