Slingbox on IPhone 3G - Owners Unite!!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Evev12, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Evev12 macrumors regular

With the new 3G capabilities of the iphone, we now finally have what we've all been waiting for...a slingable iphone - or maybe I should say the possibility of one! We all know that Slingbox would love to develop an app to support the iphone (as they themselves have stated) and I know that there are some rumors circulating out there that an iphone Slingplayer may come to surface in the "near" future. The obvious problem is that Apple is most likely trying to hold off as long as they can in agreeing to such an app, as they don't want it to interfere with their ITunes sales. I don't know about you, but I have a big problem with a company getting a huge amount of my business and still trying to squeeze every last penny out of me. I'm also tired of companies treatingh their consumers as though they're powerless (and I'm not specifcally referring to Apple). I'm writing this letter to all the Slingbox owners out there (and future owners) as a petition to unite. As I'm already in the process of doing, please write to Apple expressing your interest in bringing Slingbox to the iphone (I even cc'd AT&T). Let's come together as consumers and tell the company what WE want - it' only takes 5 minutes and it's the only way we'll ever get it!

E-mail: SJobs@Apple.com or dts@apple.com

** If anyone has a better e-mail contact please advise **

2. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

Do your homework. Slingbox is coming to the iphone....

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2008/06/09/slingplayer-mobile-for-the-iphone/

3. Evev12 thread starter macrumors regular

Firstly, if you can't reply without an attitude please don't reply at all. I have read that article and have also probably done more homework than you can imagine. As of right now it's nothing more than speculation and a possibility - don't believe everything you read!

4. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

5. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

I'd like to have slingbox for iPhone as well. To make things easier, you might want to write a sample letter and have everyone email the same letter. Much easier and more likely that people will actually do this if there's a template.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Yes, conspiracies are always so obvious. I'm sure when/if SlingBox wants to release an app, they will and Apple will do nothing to stop them. Wasn't Sling Media at WWDC? If Apple was really trying to put the kibosh on them, they would not have been invited.

7. Evev12 thread starter macrumors regular

Good idea - I like the way you think! The easier the better! Check back tomorrow and I'll have a letter up - I'll keep it short and sweet and people can add per their discretion. Which e-mail address would you recommend it be sent? It's a bit tough to find ANY e-mails for Apple, which is a bit curious.

If you read this article and would like a template to sign and forward to Apple, please sign!

8. DubbleDuecer macrumors member

if you have a "Firstly" i feel that you should also have at least a Secondly, and maybe even a Thirdly...????

9. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

That's just rude, but funny. :)

10. Evev12 thread starter macrumors regular

You're either a person who cares or could care less about this topic. If you fall into the latter of the 2, you must have a fascinatingly exciting life to read and respond to posts that interest you not whatsoever. If you read this topic because you actually cared about what it adressed, congradulations, you've just demonstrated your mental capacity (or lack thereof) to take action for your own self interests. Regardless, I'm sure you'll become a perfect "ideal" consumer when you grow up and make a lot of companies very happy.

11. saxamoophone macrumors regular

If at the starbucks next door because Apple wouldn't invite them, then yes, Sling Media was at WWDC =p

Apple's just being greedy, there's really no question about it. But Sling will keep putting pressure on them, and when enough people complain they will finally be allowed the publish it. Apple's image as being "not evil" is probably more important then the lack of iTunes sale over all of this....

12. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Apple isn't going to do anything to stop SlingPlayer coming to the iPhone. SlingPlayer mobile is already available for Windows Mobile, Palm, Symbian, and I'm pretty sure they're testing a Blackberry version right now. Last I read is that the iPhone app was still under development at SlingMedia. I wouldn't be surprised if we have it before the end of the Fall.

13. circusbass macrumors regular

Hopefully this app would allow for better video quality over the 3g network then the MLB app or YouTube.

14. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

You should try taking some of your own advice sometime. Also, posting in the correct forum would also help.

15. Requiemm macrumors regular

Sorry for the threadjack, but this is a pet peeve of mine. Please reference the following graphic on the proper use of "Couldn't care less" :D

[​IMG]

16. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Jesus guys, give the OP a break! Every post is bashing him in some way or another! (by the way ''could care less'' is a big pet peeve of mine too, but i've just gotten used to it on these forumrs)

If this app comes out for iPhone i might buy a slingbox,

17. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

It may come to a jailbroken iphone but no way in the app store. Apple wants you to buy content from itunes not stream it for free. Geez they wont even ket you wirelessly sync your phone over BT because they want to charge you for Mobileme. Sling box, not a chance.

18. Evev12 thread starter macrumors regular

OK, so before actually writing Apple I wanted to write to Slingbox first to see what (if anything) they could tell me. When posed with the question of the accuracy of the info. reg. the release of an iphone Slingplayer their response was:

"Thank you for contacting Sling Media support.

Since we do not handle information about new products, I cannot refer to
    this topic. However, if the information is not published on our website,
    I do not think it is true.

Please reply to this e-mail or give us a call to assist you at
    1-877-G0-SLING (877-467-5464) or go to www.slingmedia.com/go/contact for
    Chat support.
    We open the seven days of the week from 7:00am to 7:00pm PST.

For future reference your Sling Media email support ticket number is

Best Regards,
    Marcel
    Sling Media Support"

Grant it, I wasn't expecting much of an answer as no company likes to talk too much about their products before release (and probably can't for legal reasons), but this definitely doesn't hint at anything even remotely positive, so I'm going to have to conclude as of right now, NO iphone compatibility at least anytime soon. Hopefully this clears up some of the apparently beleived rumors floating around.

19. ckbook macrumors member

From what I read it is not Sling. They had submitted their application to Apple to development for the App Store and has not been accepted. They have been building an App with an unofficial build for the iPhone.

20. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Welcome to the internet.

21. Evev12 thread starter macrumors regular

Seems like you spent a lot of time & effort for something you don't care about - did you make that chart yourself? I'm guesing you're very productive, are you looking for work, I'm hiring!

22. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

They have internet on computers now?:confused:

23. markgamber macrumors 6502

From what I've gathered from Sling, THEY were not accepted into the dev program yet. Along with a lot of other people. Not a big deal. In addition, Sling Media is the slowest. Company. Ever. They announced a Blackberry player months and months ago. Even had something to demo, I believe. A load of people signed up for testing, not one (as far as I know) have heard anything about anything. Hell, it took them six months just to fix a few bugs in their Windows Mobile software and how long has that been out? (answer: A long time) So take a deep breath, relax and find something else to do. I'd bet a paycheck you're not going to be getting an iPhone slingplayer this year and that's just the way it is.

24. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I couldn't care less what that chart says. Supposably its correct, but only a looser would point it out. Their are more ways you could be constructive rather then sitting theyre making fun of someone else and what there trying to say.