Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
Tell me then why my flash player only works on youtube videos. Why not liveleak? Or any other competing website? You're right, no one knows why the Sling media player isn't on the app store. But I think it's a little bit naiive to assume that AT&T and Apple are going to do what's in the best interest of its customers. Apple has already proven itself time and time again that it isn't interested in fairplay. Jobs says he's all for elimination of DRM, yet AppleTV, the iPhone, and the iPod cannot play open media formats like xvid, wmv, etc. Furthermore they intentionally tie the iPod/iPhone products to iTunes. Why do you think that is? Because all other competing formats threaten iTunes sales. Every other online music store is on the verge of collapse because of Apple's ingenious plans. Eventually the only way to legally purchase music will be iTunes or your record store. Amazon might survive, but only as a DRM-less alternative to those still clinging on to Creative MP3 players.

If Apple or AT&T have something to lose you can bet they'll try and find away to block it. TV on cell phones is the next big thing. AT&T isn't just going to sit and watch some cheap solution canabilize its next major revenue stream.

Hey, you may be right. I hope you are. But I personally think it is a conspiracy to dominate what type of data travels over wireless networks. ISP's need to know that any attempts or overtures at discrimination will be met with resistance by its customers. I'm personally not content to just sit idly and watch my options fade away... The more you give to these buttheads the more they'll take away in the name of network management.

I agree completely, and I can totally see the two of them blocking apps that threaten their stronghold on revenue sources.

I just don't understand when people STATE that that is exactly what is happening here, as if they have direct information from Sling that they have a ready app and have not been allowed in the app store.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Thanks for the clarification on MediaFLO. So phones do require some sort of physical hardware to receive the transmission, correct? Is the transmission on a different channel of the wireless band?

Yep, they must have special hardware, which is why you only see a few phones with MediaFLO right now. In the USA, the broadcasts are in a spectrum formerly occupied by UHF Channel 55, which was auctioned off by the FCC.

And yeah, I think I was thinking of MobiTV. I used to have it on my Treo and it was always available on 3G phones from AT&T.

Yes, MobiTV can be played on many phones, but uses up precious network bandwidth as you pointed out in a previous post.

KidStallyn

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2008
Hopefully These pics work:

IMG_0003.PNG
IMG_0005.PNG
IMG_0006.PNG
IMG_0004.PNG

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
It's free, so why not try it?

The software is free, but you still need the PC tuner (to watch tv) and a PC. After getting the hardware and installing it I don't know if it is a better deal than the Slingbox. It is, at least, another (or in the iPhone's case ONLY) option for people already running the appropriate hardware.

And5555

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
The software is free, but you still need the PC tuner (to watch tv) and a PC.

You can actually download/use the Orb server initially for just existing videos/photos/etc on your computer without the TV tuner working. Use that to evaluate the streaming performance, interface, etc and then if you like it, buy a TV tuner.

KidStallyn

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2008
The software is free, but you still need the PC tuner (to watch tv) and a PC. After getting the hardware and installing it I don't know if it is a better deal than the Slingbox. It is, at least, another (or in the iPhone's case ONLY) option for people already running the appropriate hardware.

For me there is no difference with the Slingbox and Orb. Both control my HD DVR via IR blasters. For one connection, I have the Slingbox connected via the component cables. My TV card, has a component in, so, I use the Component OUT on the Sling connector, and that goes into the TV card on my PC. O can change to any channel on my DVR using the Orb Live Software. And the streaming quality over 3G is PHENOMINAL. Not once during my beta testing has it even buffered. Sure there's been issues, but it's working rather well.

AMcBroom81

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Mt. Carmel, IL
For me there is no difference with the Slingbox and Orb. Both control my HD DVR via IR blasters. For one connection, I have the Slingbox connected via the component cables. My TV card, has a component in, so, I use the Component OUT on the Sling connector, and that goes into the TV card on my PC. O can change to any channel on my DVR using the Orb Live Software. And the streaming quality over 3G is PHENOMINAL. Not once during my beta testing has it even buffered. Sure there's been issues, but it's working rather well.

Kid, That is awesome that you found a way to stream your tv to your Iphone.
:cool:

Have you heard anything from sling yet about your application? :)

KidStallyn

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2008
Kid, That is awesome that you found a way to stream your tv to your Iphone.
:cool:

Have you heard anything from sling yet about your application? :)

I've heard absolutely ZILCH from Sling. Zip, Zero, NADA! But, Orb is moving along. Beta 2.03 came out last Friday to fix a problem with the video and audio sync, and I'm testing that one out right now. To be honest, it does SOOOOO much more then Sling. It streams your music, it streams your TV, it streams internet radio, and it streams pictures to your phone. That's pretty cool IMHO. While Orb is moving forward, I have no idea where Sling is in this race. trust me, I would love to have sling on my iPhone. But Orb is a great alternative.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
Orb question. If I run Windows through Parallels and hook ORB up, will the quality suffer? I'm still hoping for Sling because I have no way to hook my TV up to my computer. Also, I'm living in SF now, but Sling is hooked up to my parents place in NY so I can get all of the NY sports without getting a package, so please, for the love of hockey and baseball, get it together Sling!

AMcBroom81

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Mt. Carmel, IL
I've heard absolutely ZILCH from Sling. Zip, Zero, NADA! But, Orb is moving along. Beta 2.03 came out last Friday to fix a problem with the video and audio sync, and I'm testing that one out right now. To be honest, it does SOOOOO much more then Sling. It streams your music, it streams your TV, it streams internet radio, and it streams pictures to your phone. That's pretty cool IMHO. While Orb is moving forward, I have no idea where Sling is in this race. trust me, I would love to have sling on my iPhone. But Orb is a great alternative.

Thats cool, I am glad Orb is working out for ya, I have a mac so Wont be able to use Orb.

Kid, could you let Orb know that they should get on the ball and create this also for mac? This would make things a whole lot easier.

Also what do you all think about the rumours that, Apple is going to release 2.1 iphone update with special features? Turn by turn GPS and maybe Slingplayer for iphone, thoughts????

chox99

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008
IL

Also electric bill. I have ATI all in wonder that might work with Orb. but I can't let my parent PC run 24/7 just so that I can watch TV on my iphone. My slingbox is at my parent house 80mi away, it worked like a charm. (they have 12M DL/2M upload speed which I'm paying for)

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
You're right, no one knows why the Sling media player isn't on the app store. But I think it's a little bit naiive to assume that AT&T and Apple are going to do what's in the best interest of its customers. Apple has already proven itself time and time again that it isn't interested in fairplay.

Like how? If anything Apple is very pro consumer. Moreso than other media and computer companies.

iPod cannot play open media formats like xvid, wmv, etc. Furthermore they intentionally tie the iPod/iPhone products to iTunes. Why do you think that is? Because all other competing formats threaten iTunes sales.

BZZT, wrong. WMA is not free and open. You must license it from Microsoft for a price. You also cannot put it into a competing Operating System. Also, Microsoft will not license the DRM piece outside of Windows. (which is why Macs and Linux cannot play WMA-DRM files) So why would Apple license a proprietary technology from their competition?

MPEG4 (aka, AAC) is open and free - anyone can license it from the MPEG standards board without restriction. Many cellphones can play AAC files just fine....

Xvid has dubious legal standings due to patent concerns so I can see why Apple would avoid them. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xvid) Although they could license DivX and be done with it.

Want me to go on?

If Apple or AT&T have something to lose you can bet they'll try and find away to block it. TV on cell phones is the next big thing. AT&T isn't just going to sit and watch some cheap solution canabilize its next major revenue stream.

Uuuh, no. My wife has had a cell phone with TV (LG Shine) and it was cool for all of 10 minutes. Why? 15 FPS, motion artifacts, and just poor quality is not doing it for anyone. TV on the Cell has been ABYSMAL and pretty much a failure for all concerned.

I'd bet they are not concerned at all - if they were you'd be able to download from the iTunes store on the 3G/EDGE network. Which you can't....

ISP's need to know that any attempts or overtures at discrimination will be met with resistance by its customers. I'm personally not content to just sit idly and watch my options fade away... The more you give to these buttheads the more they'll take away in the name of network management.

Here's where I agree with you....

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
Everyone misses the OBVIOUS issue.....

Slingbox uses the PROPRIETARY WMV format for their video...
http://www.pcworld.com/article/121659/first_look_take_your_tv_with_you.html

http://www.technologyevangelist.com/2006/11/the_slingbox_challen.html

The only one that uses H.264 (what the iPhone uses) is the Sling HD.

So they have to figure how to get a real CODEC in the Slingboxes or transcode on the fly or try to get efficient WMV decoding in the iPhone. Neither is a trivial task.

Windows Mobile supports this natively and I'd bet they are using some portions of the Core project for their PalmOS client.

I'd be more pissed at Sling for getting in bed with MS rather than good open standards....

And, yes I own a SlingBox and I'd love to see an iPhone client. I bought it in SPITE of reliance on MS technologies. If something better came along that did not have MS tech inside Sling would be gone in a heartbeat.

markgamber

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2005
Redneck, PA
There's supposed to be a VLC client for iPhone soon and it will (allegedly) play wmv. If they can do it, certainly Sling Media can also do it.

jared2

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
According to the instructions on Orb.com, you should be able to install from the INSTALLER on jailbroken phone...however, I can't find it in mine...

Step 2: On your jailbroken iPhone or iPod touch
You must have a jailbroken iPhone or iPod touch to get OrbLive
(Haven't yet jailbroken your iPhone? We like ZiPhone*)

Click on the Installer icon in your iPhone app menu
Click the Install icon at the bottom
Scroll through the list of categories and click on Multimedia
Click on OrbLive
Click Install at top right
Click Install in the popup that appears
When the package has installed, go to your
iPhone app menu and click the OrbLive icon
Enter the login and password you created when you installed Orb on your PC
Enjoy!

Any idea as to how to find it?

KidStallyn

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2008
According to the instructions on Orb.com, you should be able to install from the INSTALLER on jailbroken phone...however, I can't find it in mine...

Step 2: On your jailbroken iPhone or iPod touch
You must have a jailbroken iPhone or iPod touch to get OrbLive
(Haven't yet jailbroken your iPhone? We like ZiPhone*)

Click on the Installer icon in your iPhone app menu
Click the Install icon at the bottom
Scroll through the list of categories and click on Multimedia
Click on OrbLive
Click Install at top right
Click Install in the popup that appears
When the package has installed, go to your
iPhone app menu and click the OrbLive icon
Enter the login and password you created when you installed Orb on your PC
Enjoy!

Any idea as to how to find it?

That's an old web page. they haven't updated it in a while. That version listed there only works on a jailbroken iPhone with 1.1.4 firmware. It's not compatible with the 2.0+ release of apples latest firmware and the app store.

AMcBroom81

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Mt. Carmel, IL
well looking at the story on the front page, we might not get sling on the iphone. I want it soooooo bad, and now reading this. it will be a sad day to iphone.

AMcBroom81

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Mt. Carmel, IL
Ok, I just saw some awesome news on the front page. :D

THis is also a big FACE ( Ron and Fez reference XM 202 12:00pm-3:00pm ) to all the non-belivers in SlingMedia.

This is a quote off of sling media's page. I have posted the link below. :D
(And what else...

Oh yeah - we are in Apple's iPhone Developer Program, and have been for a while. Just so you know.)

http://www.slingcommunity.com/blog/.../;jsessionid=099F933CBA3578D6B2DF7FFC8F9BE412

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.