SlingBox Pro Vs Elgato Setup for Mac Network Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ilogic, Oct 5, 2007.

1. ilogic macrumors regular

I'm looking to accomplish 4 goals on my network:

- Watch TV (DirecTV) from my MacBook and or iMac without Usb tuners sticking out of my MacBook (no prefererence for dual tuners - aka watching two channels from two machines at the same time)

- Watch said Programming from iPhone from the internet

- Attach VCRs / Video Game consoles to my iMac

- Watch Media Files that are on my external HD (attached via Airport Extreme) from any of my computers via Slingbox or Elgato software using their technology as the bridge so I can watch it through the internet

My Setup:

- I have an Airport Extreme network away from the TV (DirecTV)
    = I am not willing to get a second DirecTV Setup box if setup requires it
    = I am willing to move my airport extreme / router near the TV

- I have an Airport Express which has ethernet input/usb
    = Can this be used in the setup to my advantage?

As you can see, its a pretty crazy set up if it can be accomplished. Money is not really an issue, but I do want efficiency... what you guys think? can it be done?
    :apple:

2. purdueboiler87 macrumors member

I can comment on 2 things you want to do.

1. I bought a slingbox pro last week. I have it hooked up to my DirecTV receiver and I can watch TV on my MacBook Pro no problem. The real test will be to see the quality when I am in Spain next week.

2. To watch TV on the iPhone, I have an EyeTV 200 hooked up to my G5. The latest version of the EyeTV software lets you stream recorded shows to the iPhone. I record the shows I want, indicate that I want them to be available via wireless, and after the shows are recorded, I can access them via a URL on the iPhone. The quality is actually pretty good too. I have the EyeTV hooked to regular cable, not DirecTV.

My internet connection speed is 2MB up so I'm sure that helps with the streaming. I also have a static IP and my own web server which makes things easier as far as setup goes but they are not a requirement.