Slingbox Solo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sean7512, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

I just purchased a Slingox Solo on Amazon and I just realized that the slingbox does not support a standard cable connection, it has to be rca, s-video, or component. Short of a VCR, is there a cheap little converter that will go from cable -> RCA so I can use the slingbox with a standard cable connection?

Thanks Everyone,
    Sean

2. Rmafive macrumors 6502

Sorry, but you will need a built in tuner to accomplish what you want. If there are no other options, you could return it and buy a slingbox pro HD, which has a tuner built in. :D

3. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would a VCR work fine? I have one, I just thought it'd be a cleaner setup if there was just a small converter dongle or something.

4. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

ha I don't know if I can help at all, but I bet you could get a VCR to work. I think the idea behind the slingbox solo was to just connect it to your current tuner. As far as a simple tuner, you could look at usb tuners like for computers. maybe from elgato, but I can't imagine that's a cheap solution, so your best bet seems to be just connecting it to you VCR. It seems like it should work having never tried it. Just cable into VCR, composite out of VCR into Slingbox, then again composite out of Slingbox to your TV. It just feeds through the device.

sorry this may not be much help, but I saw that no one was helping so I figured I'd say something.