Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CNet's Gadget blog had previously reported that Sling Media was working to get their SlingBox working with the Apple TV. A Sling Media employee confirms that this was accurate:

Yes, I can confirm this is accurate. (I work for Sling Media.) The Slingbox currently supports over 3,000 AV devices (cable boxes, DVRs, DVD players, etc) via IR and we’ve got many more in the pipeline. For Apple TV, you’d use the component pass-thru on a Slingbox Pro with HD Connect to remotely view, or listen, to your content. Our SlingPlayer software (computer and mobile) offers an audio-only mode, so we’re not just talking iTV video here… Select an iTunes playlist, switch to audio-only if you’d like (reducing bandwidth), and listen to your music anywhere you’ve got Internet.

SlingBox is media box that allows users to watch and control their home TV, DVR, or home theatre setup on a Mac or PC over the internet. CNet's Gadget blog also notes that Sling Media has been offering the ability to stream content to your mobile phone and speculates that Apple's iPhone support could be in the works.

This functionality would allow you to have your entire iTunes library available to you on your internet enabled phone (iPhone or not) without directly syncing your entire library to your phone.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
All sounds pretty cool, but at the moment i think a little too expensive to stream(?) the music to your mobile phone.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
They say the Japanese are 10 years ahead of us here in Europe... And they have WiFi everywhere in their streets... so one would hope that eventually mobile data rates will come down... all I know is that I've been sucked dry for wanting to have a little mobile internet for the past coupla years!

nice, so is this something for Mac and PC?

I think I read somewhere that Mac software had just come out for slingbox that was identical to the pc version...!

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
They say the Japanese are 10 years ahead of us here in Europe... And they have WiFi everywhere in their streets... so one would hope that eventually mobile data rates will come down... all I know is that I've been sucked dry for wanting to have a little mobile internet for the past coupla years!

Any you guys in Europe are even farther along than we are. Even if this does pan out (it's a great idea!!) it's a shame that widespread WiFi isn't really available unless you live in the larger cities. I suppose it would be far too expensive to establish a nation-wide WiFi network, but it's nice to dream isn't it?:p

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
safe to say Korea has passed Japan as the tech mecca of the world...

the problem with US having low tech all over the place has little to do with the actual advancement in technology...it's just that there are so many organizations trying to stop us from doing anything significant, such as "nooo~ mobile phone antenna is bad for our health!", "nooo~ wi-fi on the street will increase traffic accidents!" "nooo~ we need to keep things as is to sustain nostalgic value!"

until that changes, we will be in awe with Razr while Koreans and Japanese will laugh at Americans while watching TV on their cells.

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
Any you guys in Europe are even farther along than we are. Even if this does pan out (it's a great idea!!) it's a shame that widespread WiFi isn't really available unless you live in the larger cities. I suppose it would be far too expensive to establish a nation-wide WiFi network, but it's nice to dream isn't it?:p

Not over here in Flanders (Belgium) our population is very dense, and the Flemish governement is considering a nation-wide WiFi network

massiv

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2006
US and Wifi

safe to say Korea has passed Japan as the tech mecca of the world...

the problem with US having low tech all over the place has little to do with the actual advancement in technology...it's just that there are so many organizations trying to stop us from doing anything significant, such as "nooo~ mobile phone antenna is bad for our health!", "nooo~ wi-fi on the street will increase traffic accidents!" "nooo~ we need to keep things as is to sustain nostalgic value!"

I think it has more to do with financial interests rather than health concerns. And we need to remember that the US is a huge country in comparison to a lot of these "advanced" countries. Much more of our population by % is spread out into rural areas. We will get there, it will just take some time and huge investments.

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
I think it has more to do with financial interests rather than health concerns. And we need to remember that the US is a huge country in comparison to a lot of these "advanced" countries. Much more of our population by % is spread out into rural areas. We will get there, it will just take some time and huge investments.

i can see your point. however, Korea's tech advancement is mainly concentrated in Seoul, the capital and the biggest city of Korea. if you compare Seoul to, let's say, New York, the difference is pretty large. Also, Seoul is much bigger than New York sizewise.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT

Financial interests or just greed, pure and simple eh? :mad:

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
All sounds pretty cool, but at the moment i think a little too expensive to stream(?) the music to your mobile phone.

What I'd really like to see is an inverse relationship as well. Allow the :apple: TV to control a Sling Box to distribute a DVR to other rooms in your house.

:apple: TV is cheap enough to be tempting if all you're trying to do is build a small multi-media PC to get DVR functionality into a room that does not currently have it. Combined with a Sling Box you can now use the living room TIVO as the DVR and the :apple: TV to access it in another room.

I know this ties up the TIVO to be watching what is being accessed remotely but for instances where only one person is watching but needs to be in a different room it opens up possibilities.

Howmanoid

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2007
nice, so is this something for Mac and PC?

This will work with any :apple:TV, regardless of whether a Mac or a PC is serving up content to it. All this is saying is that Sling is going to be able to take a video and audio feed from :apple:TV and then send IR control signals back to it via its IR blaster. This is exactly what Sling does today with other set top boxes. The only real :apple:TV news here is that they will be adding the IR codes for the :apple:TV (which you'd expect them to be doing for most new TV interface devices.

It's a nice to have but it's not any great integration or unusual commitment to Apple on their part.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I was confused about this story at first. As it seems others are.

This isn't a Slingplayer client for the aTV. This is only a remote and IR codes for current Slingplayer clients.

Not surprising, and not very newsworthy IMO.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
Using Slingbox as I type...

I am at the airport right now using my slingbox w/ my macbook pro and a connection with my Bluetooth enabled A900 (not EVDO rev. A). I cannot wait until they add the APPLE TV remote. It will be exactly what we (I) need.

Unfortunately, I don't see the iPHONE being able to use slingbox anytime soon (this is very sad). I would see them sooner try to develope their own iSLING or add a function to their APPLE TV.

I have seen Slingbox work on a MacBook Pro (intel), my office DELL, a treo running Windows or Palm OS and on a PPC-6700 (looks and sounds amazing).

There are two types of people in the world. People that OWN a Slingbox and people that WANT a Slingbox.

Here's a screenshot from the airport today. Now if we could just get internet in the air. Hmmmm...

655b9ae5.jpg

derivativemusic

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2007
A couple of things.

First, what Slingbox does is stream whatever it's fed onto the internet, from where you can access it with their player software. They also have control software, although I'm confused how that would work if you're not using their tuner (i.e. if your tuner is in a satellite or cable box).

But it's also worth mentioning that we have high speed broadband access in the US right now. It's called EV-DO, also known as 3G, and Verizon and Sprint offer it. There's also slower internet access, offered by Cingular and others, called EDGE. That's the one the iPhone will use, of course, and it's the one that's used in Europe (on the edge of the GSM cell phone band they use; EV-DO is on the edge of the CDMA band we also have in the US).

So you don't need Wi-Fi for this.

Next, from what I can see, Slingbox' player software doesn't work on Mac OS X or Palm OS. But maybe I'm wrong about that. Hopefully so.

What I wonder is whether this is a good solution for watching TV on a 30" Cinema display, which only has dual-link DVI input. I've been looking for a solution for that.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
Does anyone know what's up with the SlingCatcher in terms of availability and whether or not it will be able to stream anything from my laptop to the tv, i.e., the ability to show a word doc or web page I am on, or will it only send the same kind of digital media, i.e., music, movies, etc. as apple tv? The reason I am asking is earlier in a press release sling media had made it sound like it could send anything, now it sounds like it can only do apple tv type.

Next, from what I can see, Slingbox' player software doesn't work on Mac OS X or Palm OS. But maybe I'm wrong about that. Hopefully so.

Your hope came true. not only is Mac OS supported, they have an entire support section and FAQ dedicated to apple.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
forget this company what a pain in the butt. I just got off the phone with support and they are completely changing the slingcatcher to the way I was hoping it would not go as described above. :(

looks like it is back to the old hook the mac mini up to my tv plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.