Slingbox worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SephirothXR, Aug 10, 2009.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

The Slingbox PRO-HD costs $300, then the actual app costs $30. I've jailbroken my 3GS and have 3G Unrestrictor, so it's really tempting to have live TV anywhere with 3G connection (I have 3G in my city) or wi-fi anywhere in the world. To those who've spent the money on hardware/software that costs more than the iPhone itself, do you think it's worth it? Being on a college campus that has wi-fi everywhere is also nice (better place to use with my new MBP), but I just feel like making life all about TV, especially when it's in my pocket, is going just a bit too far. What do you guys think?

2. cmaier macrumors G3

I have four slingboxes and they've been invaluable to me.

3. tryppy macrumors member

Yes... yes it is :D
    I purchased the Slingbox Pro HD about a month ago and I've been smiling ever since. I'm not a huge tv watcher, but knowing I'll never miss a hockey game again while at work is worth it in my books. As long as you have it unrestricted you'll be watching tv anywhere you go.

One of the best purchases I've made. Great piece of technology.

The app itself is a little costly but I bite the bullet and it was a great decision.

4. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

So now if I'm at someone else's house and we want to watch TV off of my Slingbox, do I just install the software and enter my log in information on their computer and we can watch it within 5 minutes? I know you can't have multiple sources for one slingbox at the same time, but hey I wouldn't mind having that type of luxury.

It definitely seems like a really good long term investment, and of course the main thing to understand is that you can also watch it on your laptop, I would personally sort of hate to pay so much money just to view it on my phone. After I get used to the whole college life and maintain a high GPA for a good 2 or 3 months, I'll probably get it, and I'm sure my parents won't mind having it as well, it's definitely luxury and it comes at a price, but it's one of those technological ideas that people have dreamed about for almost half a century: TV on a portable phone!

5. cmaier macrumors G3

Yes.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hell yeah its well worth it.
    Not only having it on your iphone but also if you go on a trip you can take your laptop with you and have all your channels or home DVR available to you. You can also use it over 3G/Edge if you jailbreak your iphone. Of you can tether your iphones internet connection to your laptop and watch games or anything live on a laptop for example while you're across town or across the world. All you need is an internet connection and you take your home TV with you anywhere.
    You can get it cheaper at Amazon. $263.84 including free shipping.

7. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

For some reason, the Pro HD isn't available yet in Europe. I've checked out the Pro, but it's uuuugly - looks like it was designed by someone who'd just seen a CRT iMac for the first time...

Also, what kind of upload speed is required to view video at a half-decent quality over the internet? I'm in a rural location, so I can only get around 320kbps upload if I'm lucky (and switch off rtorrent...).

8. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
  9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You dont need much.
    I think they say around 256K upload will get you decent quality picture.

10. ..-. macrumors newbie

What ISPs do you all use that let the SlingBox stream outside of a local (i.e. home) network?

- Comcast shut down our Internet connection within a day or two of me adding it and tapping into our TV from a remote location.

- We now have Verizon FIOS and in our area in NJ Verizon blocks every incoming server port so getting to the SB from the outside seems impossible. It's been awhile since I tried but there's no incoming port I can forward to the SB IFRC.

interested to hear.

Thanks,
    Frank

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I was using Verizon DSL for over a year and now have Verizon FIOS for 6 months and my Sling works fine and connects to any client outside of the home network.
    I dont think you're setting it up right. Theres settings to enable internet viewing outside your local Lan etc....
    It works for everyone else. See if Sling will help you out with tech support or search thru their forums.

12. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Comcast will not shutdown your service for using a Slingbox. Perhaps you were using port 80 and they thought you were running a http server from your location.

Also, Verizon doesn't block all incoming ports. My guess is you just didn't setup your router correctly. Most people get great results with Fios because they provide excellent upstream speed.

13. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I have been a Slingbox user for a few years now and find them invaluable. Bought the iPhone app the day it was released and have been happy with it despite it's wifi only limitation on non-jailbroken phones. I highly recommend SlingBox.

14. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

If you want to save a little money you really don't have to get the Slingbox Pro. The Slingbox solo will work just fine with your iPhone and laptop. (currently $155 on Amazon)

I love having my slingboxes but just be aware that using the iPhone app is a bit cumbersome. It's slow and skipping commercial breaks is a bit of a chore.

15. nicaraguanguy macrumors newbie

I love my slingbox pro-hd. It's worth it. That's just my opinion.

16. Lara F macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I think the Pro HD is most beneficial when being viewed over one's home network (ie watching in a different room than the TV set). But if your main use is going to be away on the iPhone, I don't see it being worth the extra cost since the increase in quality wouldn't be that apparent.

btw, this is where the extra RAM on a jailbroken 3GS really pays off - I can use Backgrounder now to surf or do other stuff during commercials with NO lag. :D Easier than bothering with fast-forward!

17. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i was thinking of getting a slingbox. i just wanted to confirm that i can connect this to my tv directly, and to my router? my tv is just a regular 27 inch sanyo. also, if i am using it on my iphone... will the TV turn on at home? thanks in advance.

18. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Very dumb questions about a Slingbox.

Can the TV you have it hooked to be watched locally while simultaneously streaming?

Also, would the Slingbox Solo work for me if I just want to hook it to one TV and stream it to one remote location?

Thanks in advance..

19. cmaier macrumors G3

Yes, you can watch the TV while streaming. All slingboxes can only be streamed to one location at a time, so the primary difference between the models is the type and quantity of inputs.

20. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm looking at the differences between the Slingbox Pro HD and the Solo. One of the differences is FULL HD streaming. Is this real HD? As in my college campus cable can't do HD with National Geographic, but if I hook up my MBP to my 32" HDTV via HDMI and open up slingplayer on my MBP and load up the HD channel of National Geographic, it'll be real HD?

Also, one of the differences said that you could watch TV on Sling without interfering with the people watching the cable box with the PRO-HD. Is that true too?

21. cmaier macrumors G3

To get HD through the sling you have to have an HD source, or, alternately, use the built-in tuner, which must be hooked to an antenna (which, depending on where you are, might need to an outside antenna). If you are using the built-in tuner then you don't interfere with people using the cable box.

22. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Well, if I am reading the comparison chart right, the SOLO would mean that the TV could only stream the current channel being watched.

Or, if you are watching the Slingbox, then the TV it is hooked to MUST watch the same channel.

The Slingbox PRO has a built in tuner so you could watch something else while someone in front of said TV watched a different show.

Lots to think about.

23. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

My DISH DVR ViP722 has a slinbox online app now, works great.

I haven't tried the iphone app though.

24. tivoboy macrumors 68030

yes and no

yes and no.

the tv can be watched locally, but depending on what DVR, or DVD or TV box you are using with the slingbox, one would have to watch what is on THAT device OR swtich to another device.

Example. YOU are streaming ABC from your DVR to your remote location with the slingbox. Someone at the HOME would then SEE ABC when they turned on the TV (most likely, depends on if you are using multiple inputs on the TV or Receiver, etc.)

If they change the channel on the DVR, then boom, THAT is what YOU are now watching.

So, it STREAMS from the inline feed, NOT directly from the appliance that you are streaming from.

I have two DVR's and TWO slingboxes (don't actually NEED two for this) and so can usually watch whatever I want remotely, since well, it isn't too often that the two DVR's at home are BOTH being used at the same time.

25. tivoboy macrumors 68030

btw

btw, the proHD is really great, beautiful picture and with a good 700kps plus outbound signal, it will stream the "hd" signal from my HD DVR's, great picture. 1MB is best, but I can do it with 700kps.

Nice thing about the proHD is the HD tuner, so with a small antennae even people without HD from cable or sat, can at least GET HD signals to their computer or or slingcatcher.