Slingbox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wayland1985, Dec 9, 2008.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

The way my apartment is set up, is my computer is facing one direction, with my TV behind me. Rearranging really isn't an option due to space, so I was thinking about getting a Slingbox instead, so when i want to work and watch TV, I can do it all in one screen.

Is slingbox any good? Is it a resource hog? How's the video quality? Am I better off just buying a tuner???

2. Keleko macrumors 68000

The slingbox works just fine. I have my DVR in one room and Mac in another, and I've watched stuff that way. However, for it to work with the latest Slingbox HD, you gotta have Windows. Slingplayer 2.0 isn't available for the Mac yet. I don't know if the current Slingplayer for Mac supports the HD Slingbox. I have a Slingbox Pro, which does work fine, but you can't get full HD quality with it. Still, the quality is good enough for generic watching.

3. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

I see. We don't have the HD tuner, so I don't think it'll be necessary anyways.

Do you think the slingbox software is good enough to use your computer as your TV? Or is it at least fairly close???

4. Keleko macrumors 68000

It won't look as good as the TV if you use the monitor for full screen. If you're using a DVR, it isn't as easy to control it with a Slingbox. Slingplayer adds in a lag so it can buffer the stream, so the "realtime" feed is a few seconds ahead of what you get from watching the Slingbox. If you want to watch some show while you're sitting at your computer, though, it works great for that. I wouldn't replace a TV with it, though.

5. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I'm not exactly looking for 1080i here, but just a decent stream (Like a decent YouTube video... not one of the grainy crappy ones).

I was thinking about getting a tuner, but this may be a better alternative...