MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Several readers have informed us that SlingPlayer Mobile 1.1 [App Store, $29.99] has appeared in the App Store. As we profiled last week, the update adds several new features, including support for 16x9 widescreen video and remote control integration with DISH Network.
What's New in this Version
- Full 16x9 widescreen support (Slingbox SOLO, PRO, and PRO-HD only)
- DISH Remote Access integration (DISH Network users only)
- Faster start and channel change
- Improved remote control interface
Unfortunately, SlingPlayer Mobile still only allows streaming over Wi-Fi, maintaining a limitation imposed on the initial version at the request of AT&T, which feared that allowing such uses on its 3G network would lead to congestion and service disruptions.

Article Link: SlingPlayer Mobile 1.1 Appears in App Store

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

So far the update looks really good. Nice to have the full screen utilized!

Comment

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hopefully this fixes my connection issues - I can connect to my slingbox no problem w/ the desktop client - nothing but problems when I try w/ my iPhone client - so annoying...

Comment

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Edit:

Read about lack of gesture control in the Customer Reviews.

Updated to 1.1 and ct2000 set me straight.

Comment

ct2000

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
check your settings it now a toggle on/off for channel swipe and fav's swipe

Comment

dizzyp

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2009
Dish Network VIP722

Does anyone know, now with dish network integration in this version, do you still need a slingbox for this app, or will it work directly with Dish Network box (VIP722) that has "sling" integration?

Comment

lsbuffs

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2009
Grrr... updated to 1.1. My desktop client streams no problem! And my iphone client... says it can't connect. Well done, Sling!

I was having a similar issue. Would sometimes take 4-5 login in attempts before the streaming would start (would just sit at 'connecting') Based on some limited testing, so far (knock on wood) I haven't experienced that problem with 1.1.

Comment

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Feature Request...

I want external video out as a feature in the next release so I can watch TV using my Myvu glasses! :)

Comment

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Everything but the one thing everyone wants. Great jorb!

I'd rather SlingBox users not cause the rest of us to have cell network issues because they want to watch TV everywhere they go. And it's not just AT&T, Verizon and other networks would have the same issues/restrictions.

Comment

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
Does anyone know, now with dish network integration in this version, do you still need a slingbox for this app, or will it work directly with Dish Network box (VIP722) that has "sling" integration?

I'd like to know the same thing. I've got the VIP722 also, but no Slingbox (yet).

Comment

Boomchukalaka

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
What a crock!!

My brother bought Slingbox Mobile for his Blackberry Bold and it works great. His network: AT&T

AT&T is pathetic.

Please, please, please Apple, listen to your customer base and open up your devices to other networks. Let the people decide who they want to support with their hard earned cash and let free market competition settle this.

Comment

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Is this latest update compatible with the original "Classic" Slingbox?

The 1.0 version requires you to buy a new box and that ain't gonna' happen!

1.0 did no such thing, nor was "required" ever stated by Sling Media. The original box isn't supported but it does work. Works in 1.1, worked in 1.0.

Comment

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
I'd rather SlingBox users not cause the rest of us to have cell network issues because they want to watch TV everywhere they go. And it's not just AT&T, Verizon and other networks would have the same issues/restrictions.

If AT&T as well as the rest of the US based carriers would keep up with the rest of the world with 4g or at least faster 3g vs sucking up the profits while keeping just enough bandwidth open to not piss everyone off, none of this would even be an issue. MMS, Tethering, Slingplayer, Orb, Pandora etc..

iPhone users are stuck and AT&T knows it so they just drag ass because they know most of the people are not going to switch. Bandwidth isn't the issue, they have the spectrum to make it, they clearly have the subscriber base paying them 30 a month for data they barely use. They need to step up and join the rest of the world. They are finally looking to roll out 7.2 mb service... welcome to 2008 AT&T wohoo!

Comment

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
iPhone users are stuck and AT&T knows it so they just drag ass because they know most of the people are not going to switch. Bandwidth isn't the issue, they have the spectrum to make it, they clearly have the subscriber base paying them 30 a month for data they barely use. They need to step up and join the rest of the world. They are finally looking to roll out 7.2 mb service... welcome to 2008 AT&T wohoo!

Agreed. I can speak for myself and many others. I've used an average of roughly 300MB of data transfer per month, for the past 2 years, and I'm still limited to what applications can be used on their network. It's incredible.

So much for "unlimited data".

Comment

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008

Well to put it bluntly, I don't really care.

I pay for unlimited data and I want to use it. If AT&T can't handle it, thats their problem, not mine.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.