Slingplayer Mobile over AT&T 3G

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by mnsportsgeek, Apr 17, 2011.

1. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Is it true that AT&T has now blocked the "Slingplayer Mobile" app from working over 3G? I am interested in purchasing a Slingbox but definitely will not be purchasing if this is the case.

Thanks in advance.

2. rWally macrumors regular

Not true. My slingplayer mobile app is running fine over 3G right now.

3. Resist, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011

Resist macrumors 68030

I noticed my Slingplayer iPhone app stopped working over 3G, it had worked a few days ago but started freezing up. Now it can't connect at all over 3G. After checking the sling forum, others are having the same issue. But nobody on that forum is saying it's AT&T that is causing the problem.

It still seems to work fine over my home Wifi though.

4. Resist macrumors 68030

Today the Slingbox app was working over 3G on my iPhone 4......kind of. It kept freezing up every few seconds. I wish they would sort this issue out, either it be AT&T or Sling Media.

5. Resist macrumors 68030

I just read a TMobile forum where some are having the same issue getting this app to work over 3G. So I'm thinking the issue is with Sling.

Today I couldn't connect this app over 3G at all.

6. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

Ive used Slingplayer 4 days this week over 3G and it worked just fine for me. I don't know why you guys are having problems with it. Maybe you need to switch your quality setting to SQ instead of HQ as it could be a problem with cell signal. I imagine if it were a problem with the app, you would see connection problems with both wifi and 3G. If you get a picture at all on 3G, there's no problem with the app.

7. Resist, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

Resist macrumors 68030

My quality was set to SQ, still having 3G issues with the app. Oddly today it did connect via 3G, but froze up and I had 4 bars over 3G.

This is not true. It is very possible to have issues on either wifi or 3G and it not effect the other connection.

8. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

As of this post now, no problem on IP4 using IOS 4.3.2 over ATT using SB A/V and SB Pro HD (SQ mode).

9. Resist macrumors 68030

I'm curious for those that are not having any issues using it over 3G, what version of the app are you using and what is your Slingbox firmware?

10. rWally macrumors regular

I'm on a 3GS with version 2.1 of the iphone app. I'm not sure of the firmware # but I do have the latest version. Everything is running perfect for me. Both HQ and SQ are working.

11. Resist macrumors 68030

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Works fine here over 3G.
    Latest Sling iphone app version, 4.3.1 firmware on the iphone 4.
    Make sure your have the latest update installed on your slingbox also.

13. Resist, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

Resist macrumors 68030

Already checked that before making my post. I think the issue is with the latest app update. It might have issues with low bar 3G connections. I never used to have any issues over 3G before until after the update.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I was in the basement of my house yesterday when I tried it with 1 bar or less and it worked.
    Not sure if the app or low signal has something to do with it or certain AT&T coverage areas having problems.

15. Resist macrumors 68030

All I knew is that it worked fine in my area over 3G before and now it doesn't. I would have thought it to be an isolated incident, until I started reading where many others around the country are having the same problem, even with different cell carriers.

16. Farplaner macrumors 6502

Today, after reinstalling slingplayer, I noticed that streaming over 3g no longer worked.

Well, I have this jailbreak app called "3G Unrestrictor". I went ahead and turned it on for Slingplayer. You know what? Streaming worked again. So it seems to me that 3G access was blocked at the app level.