Slingplayer Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bgalm, Jun 23, 2009.

1. bgalm macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have two questions, and they fit into different forums, so I wasn't sure where to post. I hope this is okay!

1. Slingmedia say on their Slingplayer Mobile iTunes page that the "Slingbox Classic, AV, and TUNER are not supported for use with SlingPlayer Mobile on iPhone ..." This seems just like a little trick to get people to buy the newer Slingboxes, but I believe I've seen people using the older legacy Slingplayers with it? I would like to stream some basic TV to my phone but I don't want to pay $180 for a Slingplayer Solo, so I was thinking about picking up a local used Slingplayer AV for $50.

2. Could anyone tell me approximately how much data Slingplayer uses to stream? I'm interested in jailbreaking and running it over 3G and I don't want to go over my 6GB/mo limit. To approximate, I'd be using it to stream TV probably 5 days a week for maybe 2 hours total each day on the commute, so 40 hours a month.

Thanks a bunch!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, the solo will work. They will not offer support for it or in other words they rather have you buy the new expensive model :)
    About how much data you'll use for 2 hours a day im not sure. High quality video will use up more data than standard quality I guess.
    You're really going to sit there for 2 hours watching tv on your iphone? Your battery wont last long thru the day after that.

3. cmaier macrumors G3

It works with the older slingboxes. I have 3 old boxes and 1 new. I see no difference (other than the software warning me the first time I try to connect to an old one.)

I'd estimate that it is streaming somewhere between 400-1600kbps (or 50-200 kBps). At the high end, then, that's 12MB per minute or 720MB per hour. That would eat up your 6GB pretty quick, I guess.

4. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Sling uses a minimum of about 300,000 bits per second. So, if you will use 40 hours per month;

40 (hours) * 60 (mins) * 60 (seconds) = 144,000 seconds per month

144,000 seconds * 300 kilo bits = 42.2 million bits.

43.2 million bits = 5.4 million bytes = 5.4 MB.

Sketchy at best for you to not exceed your cap.

5. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I think you got mixed up somewhere along the line!

A quick arithmetic of

40Kbytes per second * 40 * 3600 = 5,760,000 Kbytes

... or approx 5.5 Gigabytes

6. chox99 macrumors regular

I got Tuner and it works well. It uses around 300-500kb. but I still prefer WinMo version for better control and full screen view. :(

7. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Yes, sorry that should have been GB not MB.

However, 300 kbits per second does not equal 40 k bytes per second.

8. bgalm thread starter macrumors newbie

I assume you mean 5.4GB? Seeing as you used 300 KILO bits, it should be 42 200 million bits = 42 billion bits = 5.4 GB. Yes?

Thanks so much for the responses everyone! I suppose I won't be using it every day. I didn't realize that it was that much bandwidth. :( Perhaps I'll use it for only 1hr, maybe every 2nd day. I was thinking about watching the morning news as I go to class in the mornings. Maybe on my way back home I'll take a nap or something ;)

BTW I carry a charger with me everywhere I go so I'll just recharge it when I get to class so battery should be fine :)

9. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

True, but what's 20,480 bits between friends? :)

10. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

That's a question you'd have to ask your service provider ;)

11. gregslc66 macrumors newbie

I have the slingbox Classic & it works just fine with it. I too got the initial warning about connecting to an older box, but no issues. Just make sure your Slingbox firmware is updated.