SlingPlayer on ATV3 Without Airplay

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by justdhoo, Apr 9, 2013.

1. justdhoo macrumors newbie

I'm looking into alternatives to cable and am considering paying a friend to have an extra cable box and then using a sling box to watch that cable box at my house. I have an Apple TV (3rd gen) and an iPad (also 3rd gen) so I know I could use the slingplayer app on my ipad and airplay to watch it on the tv. However then my ipad cannot be used while I'm watching tv. Is there a way to jailbreak the atv and install a slingplayer client on it? I've seen some stuff with the xbmc client, but I have my doubts about how well that will work. Let me know your thoughts. I'm also open to any alternative suggestions you guys may have.

2. linds15 macrumors 6502a

can't jailbreak ATV3
    options that quickly pop into mind are getting another ipad, a refurb mini on the cheap, or get the sling attachment accessory that goes direct to TV, can't remember what its called

3. Mongus macrumors newbie

The Sling device is Called the Sling Catcher, they seem to have stopped making them but you can find them on Ebay for about 250 and amazon seems to have some new ones but they are very expensive.