Slingplayer streaming on the retina display?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shorties, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Shorties macrumors 6502a

I am just wondering if anyone has a slingbox and knows how it works with the iPhone in terms of resolution. Does it stream the full resolution video, (640x480 on the Slingbox SOLO, and some sort of HD resolution for the PRO) or just a gimped resolution to match the iPhone's screen? I think whatever it is, is effected by Wi-Fi vs 3G as well (It looks considerably better on Wi-Fi). Basically what I am asking is will it look better on the iPhone 4, or will they have to create a newer version to make it match at least the max resolution of sling? (Which will probably take them a year considering how long it takes them to update that app). Anyone know how this works?

2. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

From my experience, the quality of the SlingPlayer iPhone app over wifi is already pretty poor at standard definition.

I've taken to using a UK-specific live TV streaming service (tvcatchup.com) as their picture is so much better than the one I get streamed from my SlingPlayer Solo on the same wifi network as me! :rolleyes:

So in summary, I wouldn't hold out much hope!

3. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

The quality of the slingbox app is extremly poor on wifi, even the same wifi.

But I give sling media huge points for this, the slingbox app streams flawlessly over edge!!! Not many apps have been able to do this.

I hope sling will eventually upgrade the qualities. As far as the slingbox solo goes (the one I have) I think it's processor is taxed to the max converting video to a format the iPhone can use.

It works well on my dads orginal iPhone.

4. Shorties thread starter macrumors 6502a

From what I understand the Slingbox Solo, and Slingplayer stream on some sort of WMV standard, which is why the quality is never the best, even on slingplayer for mac, (And why slingplayer is such a resource hog on the iPhone, their application essentially has to software decode the WMV stream rather than use the native h.264 support). (The Slingbox PRO also is on the WMV standard but I think it also has support for an H.264 MP4 based stream, though slingplayer for iPhone is still built around the WMV stream) this is all my very limited understanding of the whole situation so I could be completely wrong.

This is the thing I don't understand though, if you use their newer slingplayer plugin for web browsers ( http://watch.slingbox.com/watch/sling_player ) it actually looks better, and runs better, than slingplayer for mac or iPhone. If they can do this in a browser plugin then they have to be able to get this kind of quality on the iPhone 4 (And iPad) over Wi-Fi, ugh it just frustrates me how slow they are at updating a $30 app, (The new android version seems to have much needed improvements to the interface as well, I hope those are coming to the iPhone). If they would just fix some usability issues with the controls, and refined the video quality this application would be a major killer app, instead of being just kinda half-baked as it is now.

Taking my TV with me wherever I go is one of the few dreams I had about the future as a kid (Seriously when I was 7 I considered buying a giant roll of coaxial cable and stringing it out the car so that I could get TV wherever I was, obviously this plan was flawed, but I was 7). Now that we have video calling, internet wherever we are, and 3D TV's and Cinemas, most of my childhood dreams about future technology have come true, we are so close to the future I can almost taste it.

5. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

:)

I think that rather than streaming from home, we'll eventually end up with an "uber server farm" dishing out any TV available from whatever era you want (for a price).

Until then apps like AirVideo are mana from heaven (if like me you've got around 4TB of retro TV on a NAS :rolleyes: ).

6. Shorties thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I think your right about the eventual subscription "TV/Movies/entertainment" streaming. Its pretty much inevitable, and thats wonderful but I hope that won't eliminate broadcast media, I think TV is an awesome media, I like that people get together and watch it "When its on" (Even with the DVR, most still watch the shows the night or within a few days of an airing, and it gives you something to talk about around the water cooler) and I think/hope it will be a long time before we see the end of broadcast TV. I also think we are on the verge of the new age battle of streaming networks (Hulu, vs Netflix, vs Epix, vs TV.com/CBS ect.)

Ahhh I had forgotten about AirVideo, though I usually stream media to catch up on stuff I missed off my TiVo (Or Netflix streaming on the TiVo, through sling), but I am going to have to try this out, I guess I should start building a media archive again.

7. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Some things like sport, news, "who shot JR?" moments will always be better live. :)