Slingplayer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sparky8, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Sparky8 macrumors member

2. kostia macrumors regular

The Slingbox (several models available) attaches to your DVR, VCR, cable box, or satellite receiver and to your existing network. It can be connected with an Ethernet cable to your router or to a wireless bridge to connect it to an existing wireless network. An infrared "blaster" connects the Slingplayer to the remote sensor on the receiver/DVR/etc.

The Slingplayer software runs on any computer (Windows, Mac, beta versions for portable devices) and connects to the Slingbox, letting you control your receiver/DVR/etc. from the computer.

It doesn't store shows like a DVR (or TiVo), it just in essence gives you a very long remote control and a remote screen.

For instance, my Slingbox is attached to my satellite DVR. I run Slingplayer software on my laptop, and I type in the unique "finder ID" that was created to identify my Slingbox during setup. I enter my password (optional). Across the Internet, wherever I am, my DVR's screen comes up on my computer, and I can control my DVR and watch television on my computer screen.

While I'm doing that, if someone happened to be in my house and the TV were on, they'd see the same show I'm watching, just as though I were sitting there controlling it with the regular remote.

The Slingplayer software can connect to multiple Slingboxes, but only one at a time. And only one viewer can be connected to a Slingbox at once. If someone else gives you the ID of their Slingbox, you can install the Slingplayer software and control/watch their TV.

The Slingplayer software is a free download, but it doesn't do you any good unless you have a Slingbox to connect to and control.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

4. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

No, over the Internet as well.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What I mean is I want to use the slingplayer ONLY on my LAN inside my house.Is this doable?

6. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

Yes

7. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Works great like this. You can turn off remote viewing and the video quality over the home network is awesome.