SlingTV will sell an OTA box to stream your local channels

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by oneMadRssn, Apr 15, 2016.

1. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

2. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

as far as i know, this is the first sling box that supports ATSC digital tv. the old boxes were NTSC analog broadcast tv. they were replaced by boxes that only had cable tuners. , so this is good news

i got 2 hd home runs at home and i use it for windows. so now i guess ill get this one too

i hope they don't charge us $14.99 to watch it on our iPhones and then make you pay another 14.99 for the ipad version for the other sling box
    --- Post Merged, Apr 15, 2016 ---
    okay, sam corrected me and it was the pro hd that had the digital tuner

3. cardsdoc macrumors 6502

You are confusing SlingBox with SlingTV, two unrelated products and companies. SlingTV is a subscription streaming TV service and this is their first piece of hardware.

4. rigormortis, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

sling tv and sling box are companies that are both owned by Echostar and Dishnetwork. sling tv called sling box and asked , "can you make us a box?" , and Charlie Ergen said OKAY!. i know this because i won on dish network bingo.

i miss charlie chats.

5. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

If this is real it would be freaking awesome. All I'd need is an Apple TV app and I'd be all over this.

6. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Why wait. Get a HDHomeRun Connect or Extend plus Antenia and the Channels App on Apple TV.

7. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I've looked at that before, and my main thing is that I watch tv on my Mac or iPad almost as much as my tv, and therefore would want to invest in something that offers a clean, similar interface on multiple devices, not just the Apple TV. Channels looks good otherwise though.

8. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Maybe a better solution out there but you could also use the HDHomeRun with the iPad App InstaTV Pro (which runs on Apple TV but I prefer Channels) and the HDHomeRun VIEW Application for the Mac.

But these solutions are also local network only instead of a solution over the Internet.

9. rigormortis, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i got a plug in for plex ( called hdhr viewer for my hd home run ) so i can watch live tv over wifi or cellular. long story short, i don't have the plex pass account anymore so i have to be at home to watch tv on my iPhone. vlc and dolby are not talking to each other. without dolby ac3/a52 support you are not able to use vlc on an iPhone to watch live tv. i wonder how insta tv was able to score a license for ac3/a52.

vlc even asked dolby for some kind of in app purchase for this codec, which is necessary for watching hdtv at home. but they won't talk to them

the sling tv / sling box / dish network / echo star box would let you watch tv over cellular to your iPhone. as far as i know the apple tv / hd home run , while superior (with 2 or 3 tuners versus 1 ) , does not do tv to the iPhone/cellular without additional software
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2016 ---
    hope that sling tv doesnt make you pay $15 (each - ipad and iPhone ) for an app to watch tv on that like sling box does. and on top of that, place ads on your screen. sling tv and sling box is the same company. the only way to get out of being charged for sling player is to have a sling box built into your dish network receiver. that uses the free app