Sllloooooow boot time

Discussion in 'macOS' started by capoditutti, May 16, 2007.

1. capoditutti macrumors 6502

capoditutti

So i moved my installation from my 2.13C2D to this 2.33C2D, expecting things to be at least as quick as they were before. Initially, this was the case.

Then my XP installation started showing the wrong time all the time, no matter what i did. Other things annoyed me as well, so i used the boot camp utility to remove the XP installation. Now, when i turn my machine on, i hear the 'bong', and then i'm sure it now takes up to 20 seconds before the grey apple shows and the boot sequence begins. Its a hell of a lot slower than it used to be. Any clues?:( :( :(

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Go to System Preferences>Accounts>Login Items and remove the login items listed. That could help the boot-up time.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

How much RAM do you have?

If it continues, you should definitely re-install the OS...

4. capoditutti thread starter macrumors 6502

capoditutti

I've got 2GB (its the standard 2.33 C2D spec machine), which is why i was puzzled as to why its taking so long to start doing something...

CaPo

Does this force OSX to 'rebuild' the list, and therefore maybe leave out some other crap that it's unfortunately working with at the moment?

cApO

5. nate13 macrumors 6502

nate13

it doesnt force a rebuild of the list, you have to rebuild it. but that def wont help on your problem. i would try (if you have everything backed up, or can) wiping the HD, reinstalling the os fresh, and then getting a good utility like diskwarrior or cocktail or Onyx. That should keep you in check.

~~ on second thought, try diskwarrior first. if you can boot off a different hd (even a partition) with diskwarrior installed, it can rebuild your filesystem to a point. AWESOME app.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Go to System Preferences -> Startup disk -> Make sure that OSX is chosen :)

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

RAM quantity is effectively irrelevant when it comes to boot times. Let's start at the basics. Use Disk Utility in the Utilities folder to verify your drive. Repair it if necessary. :)

8. capoditutti thread starter macrumors 6502

capoditutti

Thanks to all - this was the right one! I can't believe it was that simple. I am relieved that it was something so simple - i was beginning to think this machine was jinxed or something.

As an after-question, how come OSX didnt revert to the Macintosh HD when i removed my XP partition? I know my problem is sorted but thought i'd keep wondering...

thanx for the solution psychofreak!