Slooooow Internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Littleboo, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Littleboo macrumors regular

My internet is very slow! It's not the service as I have 2 other computers who run very fast on wireless. I just replaced the ethernet cable which didn't do anything. My computer itself isn't that slow although it isn't fast either. It's a imac, 10.5.7, 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5, memory 2GB DDR SDRAM.

I thought about switching it to wireless,I'm not sure as I don't see it on the top toolbar and I'm not sure how to set it up if my machine actually has it. Could my router be bad if my other computers are good?

any suggestions would be great.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Are the other two connected by Wireless?

If so, then it could be the network switch in your router that's bad.

I don't think that those iMacs came with an Airport card installed, but I'm not 100% sure.

3. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

yes they are both wireless. If you think it's the router, I'll replace that. thanks.

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Before replacing the router, try to hook one of the other computers wired, and see if you get significantly lower speeds.

5. dandaman2 macrumors regular

you sure? if it's a G5 than it's one of the white flat screen ones, and I think those were wirelessly enabled.

6. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

How do I tell if there is wireless? I don't see the signal bars on the top bar.

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Oh wow. I totally read that as G4. :p

If it's the first revision, then it probably doesn't have Airport installed.
    The second revision of the G5 iMacs were the ones that had Airport in all the configurations.

Apple menu>About This Mac>More Info>Network (Drop Down Arrow)>Airport Card.

If it is there, it would have information in the right pane. If it isn't, then it either doesn't have that option, or it says No Information Found

8. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

No information found! thanks for you help. I will dig deeper into the router option.