Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
I posted about this a while ago, and thought I had solved the problem, but it's back and worse than ever!

I have a Macbook Pro 2.66 ghz Core 2 Duo. After upgrading to Lion, its constantly getting hung up, having to quit Safari and Mail. Sometimes I couldn;'t even do that, I'd have to force reboot the mac.

Some on that previous thread suggested running disk utility-repair disk permissions. I did that, and it seemed to work. But now the problem is back. I've been trying to run Permissions verify before Repair permissions, and it's been running for several hours now. That can't be right can it? I remember this was the case previously, and I wound up just running Repair Permissions that time.

Whew. Help?!:(

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Yes I'm using activity monitor. A few odd things show up 'adressbooksync' using a lot of CPU. I quit those but nothing changes. I have 4 gigs of ram.

Does anyone know if Verify Disk Permissions churning for hours and hours is a sign of a particlarkindofproblem?

Open Activity Monitor and select All Processes and then either sort by Real Mem to show you the process(es) using up your RAM or/and sort by CPU to show you the processes slowing down your Mac.
It may be, that 2 GB is not enough, as Lion is a bit RAM hungry and 4 GB RAM is advised to have.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes I'm using activity monitor. A few odd things show up 'adressbooksync' using a lot of CPU. I quit those but nothing changes. I have 4 gigs of ram.

Does anyone know if Verify Disk Permissions churning for hours and hours is a sign of a particlarkindofproblem?
I don't think it should take hours, but it begs the question why you're verifying or repairing permissions in the first place. Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.

Five Mac maintenance myths
Disk Utility repairs the permissions for files installed by the Mac OS X Installer, Software Update, or an Apple software installer. It doesn’t repair permissions for your documents, your home folder, and third-party applications.

You can verify or repair permissions only on a disk with Mac OS X installed.
Does Disk Utility check permissions on all files?

Files that aren't installed as part of an Apple-originated installer package are not listed in a receipt and therefore are not checked. For example, if you install an application using a non-Apple installer application, or by copying it from a disk image, network volume, or other disk instead of installing it via Installer, a receipt file isn't created. This is expected. Some applications are designed to be installed in one of those ways.

Also, certain files whose permissions can be changed during normal usage without affecting their function are intentionally not checked.
There are times when repairing permissions is appropriate. To do so, here are the instructions:
If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.

Nov 28, 2010
located

Have you watched anything else besides CPU usage? What about the RAM usage, my guide tells you what and how to monitor and even gives you a link on how to interpret the information?

It seems that way.

Performance Tips For Mac OS X

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
I saw that performance tips list in the other thread.i don't think this is bring caused by a few extra widgets or closing files animations. There's something fundamentally wrong.

Help? Real help? Nobody??

Have you watched anything else besides CPU usage? What about the RAM usage, my guide tells you what and how to monitor and even gives you a link on how to interpret the information?

It seems that way.

Performance Tips For Mac OS X

Nov 28, 2010
located
I saw that performance tips list in the other thread.i don't think this is bring caused by a few extra widgets or closing files animations. There's something fundamentally wrong.

Help? Real help? Nobody??

Since you don't provide any of the information we ask for, we can only guess. Maybe try a clean install of Lion or revert back to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or create another admin user and try that for a while or check the Console for hints.

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
I'm in the wrong forum. Whats a console?

Since you don't provide any of the information we ask for, we can only guess. Maybe try a clean install of Lion or revert back to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or create another admin user and try that for a while or check the Console for hints.

----------

What information?

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
I used to have Lion issues as well. After removing crapware (MacKeeper and other unused applications that were using my resources) and watching CPU usage with the Activity Monitor and iStat Menus 3, I found out what processes were hogging CPU and RAM and have either killed them, or use them more efficiently and have managed to get things back into a wonderful state of Apple computing.

Don't know if this will help at all, but I use this free app to free up memory on my 2010 Mac mini (2.4GHz C2D similar to your machine). It's called Purge, you can look into it and/or download it from MacUpdate below.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/39777/purge

I do find it odd that you have issues, and you have a .26GHz more powerful processor than me. To enhance performance I would recommend installing all available updates from Apple (If you haven't already done so), maxing out the RAM in your computer (I believe in your model 8GB is the maximum, like my mini), and installing a SSD. If you're not into hardware upgrades/enhancements and you're really unhappy with Lion, perhaps you should downgrade to Snow Leopard.

The Console is an application in the Applications/Utilities folder on your Mac. You can watch it to see the output of the processes taking place on your Mac. You can see various things like error messages and other information. It is very useful if you're trying to speed up your machine because you can see what processes are failing and such, and then take the proper actions to remove/repair them.

Last edited:

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
I sure did, and it's something that's way beyond my abilities, I'd only make things worse messing with something like that.

Did you bother to click the link that fully explains what the Console is and how to use it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.