Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aguywhoisme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
I received my new Macbook Pro (2008) in the mail about a week ago and I've pretty much gotten everything in order. There is still one thing that stumps me, however. On the front of the computer, to the right, there is a rectangular slot (can be seen on Apple's pictures; closed). I'm familiar with most computer slots from ExpressCard to Media Card slots but I can't guess as to what this is. Can anyone tell me?

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
I dont think he is talking about the optical drive slot Tallest, if you read what he says closely i believe he is reffering to this:

I wondered many times what it is, and Apple provide no explanation to my belief.

aguywhoisme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Solved

Kastenburst is correct, that is the port I was referring to. Thank you for the answer.

dgbowers

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
Alabama
And this person "IR port for if you buy an Apple Remote. "

Are wrong.

That little slot is the system standby LED. it is NOT related to optical drive or Remote.

First- you're wrong. The black slot IS the IR port for the Apple Remote, and immediately to the left of that, barely indistinguishable from the aluminum case is the System Standby LED.

Second, don't be a jerk. Your comment came across as extremely arrogant. If that's not the way you intended it, I apologize, but that's how it came across.

Attachments

• Photo Jun 22, 1 02 40 PM.jpeg
    Photo Jun 22, 1 02 40 PM.jpeg
    611.9 KB · Views: 220
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.