Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bigtyme07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2016
Hey guys so I got a maxed out mid 2017 15" macbook pro and got it recently. A little background is I've always been a PC user and built my own PC's but recently converted due to my interest in music production and djing. However when I got my new laptop it feels slower than my i5 2 year old xps 13... everything from evernote to browsing on safari is so slow and laggy even. I'm assuming that something is wrong as I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having issues with their macs. Just wondering if anyone out there has had or knows of any issues like this and can offer any solutions. Thanks!

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
@Bigtyme07

MacOS is probably indexing stuff. Just leave it be, as soon as indexing is complete, it will run like a champ.
But if after a day (even though it should last less then that, but depends on how much of ssd storage has been taken) it's still slow, I would try a reinstall of MacOS, and if that doesn't work - you have a faulty laptop. Just replace it :)

peraspera

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2016
Your MBP should not be slow just running Safari and Evernote.

Launch Activity Monitor in Applications > Utilities or launch by searching for it with Spotlight in the upper right corner of your screen. Click on the CPU tab then the % CPU tab to sort high to low. That will tell you what processes/apps may be using more CPU resources than they should.

If nothing jumps out that shouldn't be hogging the CPU try the OS reinstall as c0ppo suggested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.