Slow 3g connection with iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kokoui, Sep 3, 2010.

1. kokoui macrumors member

Hello,

I have an iphone 4 and i noticed that my 3g connection is really slow, same speeds with gprs, there is no difference. I do not think it is a reception issue because I am getting full 5 bars and the 3g icon is visible. I put it side by side with an iphone 3g and using the 3g network, the iphone 3g was much much faster.

I read some threads about this situation that i might have a corrupt APN config file, I found that file deleted it and then restored the iphone but with no result , then I restored the iphone as new and again without any result.

Any other recommendations? Has anyone had a similar problem? Thank for your time.

2. Roman24 macrumors newbie

Slow swith from EDGE mode to 3G

I'm actually in Moscow and 3G is pretty bad here in terms of coverage and speed. My 3G mode on iPhone 4 works slow but the same thing with my previous iPhone 3gs. It's due to immaturity of 3G service in Moscow. But I experience a different problem. When I swith to 3G mode it usually takes 1-2 mins to switch from EDGE to 3G. My 3gs does it much faster. What about that? Should be a software problem I hope.

3. Resist macrumors 68030

4. kokoui thread starter macrumors member

I do not have the speedtest app installed at the moment but i am getting same speeds as with the gprs

5. kokoui thread starter macrumors member

I did a speedtest and here are my result

Network Latency : 2721 ms
    Download : Avg 3kbits, Max 6 kbits

6. Resist macrumors 68030

Download a free network speed test app like speedtest.net from iTunes. Then give us the download and upload speeds.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Might be an outage in your local area.
    Call up AT&T and find out whats going on.

8. filfortugno macrumors regular

not iphone 4

def. not iphone 4, i live in canada and get a consistent 3 mb/s down and .5 mb/s up on 3g and switching is quick(15 secs.) probably is your carrier.

9. kokoui thread starter macrumors member

I am not in the States, I live in Cyprus, I bought a factory un;locked phone from UK. I have very good upload speed like 20kb/s but my download is really slow, 5-6 kb/s. I put my sim on another iphone 4 and I got similar speeds but I also tested on the same location with an iphone 3g(different sim though) and the speed difference was substantial. Do you think because I am not using an official carrier , my speed is slow? If I unlock it with ultrasnow I might see a difference?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, its already factory unlocked.
    JB and unlocking with ultrasnow wont do nothing.

11. filfortugno macrumors regular

3g?

6kb/s down?? I get 900 in low coverage areas in Canada... Your speed is like 0.000001 g speed lol in all seriousness however it might just be the phone because my ip4 is much much faster than my 3G or even my 3GS.