Slow AirPort Extreme Speeds

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Apple Fan 21, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Apple Fan 21 macrumors regular

I have my primary AirPort Extreme (5th Gen) hooked up directly to my modem (Motorola Surfboard) and I get 50+ Mbps on my IMac via Ethernet. Wi-Fi I only get 25-35 Mbps in the next room and 10-15 Mbps down stairs. I figured this was due to good house insulation. I set up a 2nd AP Extreme (4th Gen) down stairs via Ethernet over power line. Only getting 25 Mbps by Wi-Fi down stairs also. What gives?? Why are my Wi-Fi speeds so slow?

2. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Well, LOL - :D Sorry, but I have a Road Runner modem w/ a new AirPort Extreme and am quite pleased getting almost the exact same results - just tested my r-MBP (a room away from the router) and got nearly 25 Mbps DL speed (twice as fast as I use to get w/ an older Linksys router).

But just curious why you are not pleased w/ those speeds, and what you would like to achieve? I might have to consider 'how' to improve my setup? Thanks for comments and looking forward to responses from others - Dave :)

3. Apple Fan 21 thread starter macrumors regular

I will try to put in prospective. Not trying to be a net speed snob:eek:. In our old house I was paying for, and getting via Ethernet 25 Mbps. WiFi through the same AirPort Extreme Im currently using I was getting 15-20 Mbps. That us not much of a drop. Now our speeds are cut in half so Im suspicious.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

alt-click on the wifi icon in your menu bar, the "transmit rate" is the the actual link speed you're getting.

if you using an airport to wirelessly extend, you will see a drop.
    but using powerline as the backbone, you should see normal speeds out of the second base station.

also you say moved houses
    you may have interference from other networks at the new place.
    get istumbler. check to see what channel your neighbor's wifi networks are using. you want to be as far as possible from them, to get no overlap, you must be 5 channels away (so 1 & 6, 6 & 11, 3 & 8 are all clear of each other.) you might not be able to get completely clear, but try to aim for the biggest hole.
    istumbler will also give you a nice graphical interface to look at to see how your network strength changes as you move around.