Slow Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by moonzilla, Apr 22, 2007.

1. moonzilla macrumors regular

Hey Guys,

For some reason my internet surfing (loading of web pages, videos, etc) is slower on my airport extreme than it was on my netgear 614. the connection speed on my n-enabled computers is about 144Mbps, and the g-computer get the maximum of 54Mbps, but this means nothing in reality. All the connections are Very Good or Excellent, so this problem doesn't make sense to me. Any help would be appreciated.

When loading web pages, each computer seems to stall at "Looking Up..." (in the bottom left corner of the browser) for a few seconds. While this may not seem like much, when it does this for every page/site, it adds up and gets annoying very quickly. the netgear did not do this.

thanks.

2. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I've been getting the same problem my airport will start downloading some thing at say 160 KB/s on bittorrent and then after 3 minutes it will drop to 1KB/s. And if I refresh an internet page the download speed goes back up and then does it all again.

3. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

4. moonzilla thread starter macrumors regular

possible solution

hey guys,

i found something that might be of some use. it seems the airport is much more consistent with its speeds if you manually select a channel of operation instead of leaving it as automatic. you can do this through the airport's manual setup's wireless tab. hope it helps.

5. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Okay guys this answer might be TOTALLY not the answer to your specific problems, but i was having this problem a while back with older cable modems. It is very possible that your new router more effeciently routes traffic and that it overloads your cable modem. I would get this with my old setup. Bittorrent would be screamin' and then halt down to 0 or 1 kbps. I'd have to restart some things to get it crankin again. My end solution was to dump my crappy linksys modem and get a motorola one instead. Again, it's very possible your guys' routers are messed up. Just another thing to check...

6. /"\/oo\/"\ macrumors regular

7. /"\/oo\/"\ macrumors regular