Slow and Beachballs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heisenberg123, Jan 19, 2014.

1. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

without doing much, just using Safari and Finder I get major beach balls

I have used hMemTest and my 16GB of Ram show no errors.

Is there a way to determine what else could be causing it

2. simsaladimbamba

3. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Screen Shot 2014-01-19 at 11.03.47 AM.png

looks like Activity Monitor has changed with Mavericks, I dont see the usual page in and out info

Screen Shot 2014-01-19 at 11.07.08 AM.png

here is my hard drive

Samsung Spinpoint M8

4. DarthVader! macrumors member

DarthVader!

Your drive is rather slow, and if the data is spread out over the drive platters it will increase the latency of your apps starting up, i.e., more bouncing.

Try to back up your data, reformat the drive and reinstall OSX, that may give you a short term boost in performance, though I think an upgrade to a faster drive or SSD will give you a better long term solution

5. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

a re-install seems like the best answer without actually being able to find out what caused the problem in the first place. the hard drive won't cause beach balls unless it's failing

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

That's bloody slow. You should get an SSD.

Here's my SSD speeds (Early-2011 MBP 15", 2.3GHz quad core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1GB Radeon 6750M)

Attached Files:

7. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ya I may need to upgrade, same test results after a clean install using 10.8.5

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is nothing there indicating a problem. That green "memory pressure" bar at the bottom is what you look for in Mavericks. You have plenty of memory available.

When the system is bogging down like you described look at the CPU tab in Activity Monitor and sort by % and see if anything is chewing up CPU cycles.

9. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

thanks for the info, problem is when its "happening" not even Activity Monitor will open, other than still being able to move the cursor everything else is frozen.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Open Activity Monitor and put it on the CPU tab then leave it open on the side of the screen. Then hopefully when this happens you will be able to see what is munching your CPU cycles.

Try a boot to safe mode by holding shift key when booting and see if it does it there.

Just for drill, do a command-r boot to recovery and from there start Disk Util and do a repair disk and tell us what you see.

11. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

I had this with my early 2011 17" MBP. OSX just loved to swap in and out of the HDD even when there was memory available causing beachballs and slowness.

Upgraded to Samsung Evo 750GB SSD. Problem solved, no beachballs and very fast and responsive. Swapping still happens just 115x faster (Random 4k access HDD = 0.2MB/s , SSD = 23MB/s x bench)